Sunday, February 2, 2014

Book Review: Allegiant by Veronica Roth (Divergent #3)

Allegiant (Divergent, #3)Allegiant by Veronica Roth
Divergent #3
Book Summary: The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories. 

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love. 

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.

Liana's Summary: Tobias has finally escaped the claws of his parents, and Tris has escaped her boundaries as well. This new life takes adaptation, and they are faced with hardships, dangers, and ups and downs in their relationship. They must learn to trust each other, they realize, after a plan goes terribly wrong... Can they grow to cooperate and realize that they are for each other, or will they separate?

Rate(1-10): 7

Apparently the Divergent series has become a huge and big thing just like the Hunger Games and I didn't really notice. big enough that you have to pay 40 bucks to go to a signing

So. This is the end. I can hardly believe what just happened.

But three stars. Three is all I can give. Even though I admit I'm a bit inclined to be negative towards this book because it won goodreads choice awards for 2013 and I was just purposely looking for flaws. I was confused on why it got 1st place when there were other books that looked so much better. But that's just my opinion.

I jumped into this book not remembering what happened in Divergent and Insurgent except for the relationship between Tobias and Tris(bless Wikipedia for its detailed plot summaries). To my defense, I read the books as they came out. I didn't remember any of the characters, and that didn't really help. Buuuuuut, those plot summaries were there, which helped a whole lot.

I really wanted to like this book, since everyone was freaking out about it. I can understand that. I'll admit I was freaking out too, but that was at the end. Everything else just seemed...mediocre. I found myself constantly checking how many pages I had left, which meant that I wasn't really into the story, but into how much I had left to read, like I was impatient for the ending. I've received a couple of spoilers, from impatient peers who egged me on to read it. (But still, I didn't skip to the end to find out what happened. I don't know if that's part of my reader's code for myself or if it was because I actually wanted to read the entire thing. And I made it through.

Well. 

Tobias and Tris. I love them. I love them so much. They both, separately, are full of flaws and insecurities, like how Tris was insecure about her body around Tobias (but he called her beautiful and she believed it -squee-), how Tobias's back is marked with scars from his father's belt, how he believes people so easily (long story), how his behavior can be described as obsessive at times.. There are so many flaws, those flaws make them perfect. They make them who they are, and most importantly, it makes their relationship amazing. Unlike many fictional relationships, their relationship had a lot of ups and downs, with issues of trust and whatnot. That makes their relationship really authentic and strong. What I really liked about this series is that the two characters that are most important to me, has a believable, honed, and amazing relationship.

Sometimes, however, I found that I couldn't relate to them (probably because I was half asleep and thinking too much), maybe because they live in a world so different from contemporary society that it's really too hard to understand their thinking. But that was only sometimes, for me. Or maybe I'm half asleep now and thinking too much.

Now, the movie. I cannot help but paste Shailene and Theo's faces onto the ones of Tris and Tobias (Can't say I dislike it. Shailene is great for Tris, and plus, Theo is hot). I guess that's what happens when there's a movie adaptation, no?

As some of you know, there was a novella called The Transfer, speaking about Tobias's life before he chose Dauntless and turned away from his father, and the actual moment he bled into the Dauntless water. That novella really puts the meaning into things. I mean, if you're a sentimental person. (Tobias and his mom are. It's a good thing.) It's different from Free Four. In Divergent, we didn't understand Tobias as much as we wanted to, but then Veronica wrote Free Four, and we got to see a small glimpse of Tobias's point of view. And then we got more with The Transfer. In Allegiant, he and Tris alternate POVs. Pretty cool, huh? He grows on you. sort of makes me feel like he's the main character instead of tris -sigh-  You can see how far he went from the Stiff boy he was in the beginning to the leader he is known for.

Can we just talk about Caleb. Caleb, Caleb, Caleb. Can I say authors really know how to touch you in the feels when it comes to brothers that betray sisters and then-- &*^#*($&@&#$)(*#)* omg before I spoil anything or make any wrong impressions

I think that may be it for now. This book wasn't as good as I'd wanted it to be, but I'm still a little sad to say goodbye. I will be looking forward to the Divergent movie. Can't wait!


Quotes

"You're very good-looking."
He smiles, his teeth a flash in the dark. "I like this 'nice' thing."


Ouuuuu gettin all flirtatious I see


"I'll get him out."


SAY WHAT


"I do like to hit people--"


Oh


"I feel like I'm intruding on a private moment.."


Why do they always say that?


"Somehow I missed her mentioning that 'Matthew' wasn't a crusty old scientist."


Gettin jealous ouuuuuuu


"...without actually being one."


HELL NO omg was this really necessary


"I told him," I say softly....


Boys


"They didn't tell you?"


WHAT OMG STOP BUILDING UP THE TENSION


"Did you know that when I was a library volunteer and was supposed to be shelving books during my lunch hour, I was really just standing in the aisles and reading?"


OMG ME

---------------
Well, that is it. What did you guys think of this review?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!