Sunday, June 30, 2013

Book Review: Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys.

Between Shades of GrayBetween Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys.
Book Summary: It's 1941 and fifteen-year-old artist Lina Vilkas is on Stalin's extermination list. Deported to a prison camp in Siberia, Lina fights for her life, fearless, risking everything to save her family. It's a long and harrowing journey and it is only their incredible strength, love, and hope that pull Lina and her family through each day. But will love be enough to keep them alive?

Liana's Summary: Lina Vilkas is writing a letter to her cousin Joana when the NKVD breaks into her house and demand that they pack and go with them. She, with her younger brother, Jonas, and her mother are separated from Lina's father to find themselves in a labor camp in Siberia. Lina constantly attempts to send signs to her father, trying to get saved. Lina knows there is still hope. She must be strong. But will she survive?

Rate(1-10): 9


This was actually a very good book. It's been a while since I've read a historical fiction story, and I have to say that after reading this, I really miss the genre. This was a high recommendation, and now I know why!

The story just basically revolves around the life of Lina Vilkas and the horrific ugliness of a prison camp. (I seriously can't believe they did that to the Lithuanians..) Lina holds on to her hope, her love, and tries to stay strong. (What's even better, I think, learning about this whole thing with Stalin might help me with AP World History this fall.)

As Maggie Stiefvater said in her review, this is not a pretty book. Although it's actually very well-written, I couldn't help but grimace at some points of this novel. But then again, there's nothing pretty about a prison camp.. with starving and dying people.. who have diseases..

The beauty of historical fiction is that readers are given a chance to learn. And it's fiction, too. And the author can add romance whenever he/she wants. So, in other words. Yes, there was romance. It was just too cute. Even more cute, Lina was able to find romance in the midst of sadness and grief. It proves that she still had hope!

The ending was quite powerful. (Not to mention cute.) It was a wonderful 300-something page read.

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone. Yep, anyone! Give it a try! If you don't like history, this book might let you view history in a different way. And if you do, hurrah!


Quotes

"Andrius stood above.."



Hmm is this where the romance starts



"Are you okay?"



YES YES YES



"Thanks,"




YOU'RE WELCOME JAL;DFJA



"Mrs. Book Lady? Will you tell us a story?"




MRS BOOK LADY AAHAHAHAHAH I WISH PEOPLE WOULD CALL ME THAT



"He was handsome when he smiled."




OMG OMG FANGIRLING



"No, you keep it,"




;LJFA;KLDJ THIS IS SO CUTE



"Boys, carry me," the bald man said to Andrius and Jonas. "You have to bathe me."




oh god



"Hey, there was blond hair under all that dirt,"



HAHAHA IS THAT FLIRTING I SMELL



"...took out a pocketknife and began scraping underneath his fingernails."





Why do they always do that




"I put my mittens on his cheeks. I pulled his face to mine and kissed him."




;KLFAJLDFKAJ FINALLY OMFG FINALLY



"He caught her by the waist."




oh



"Nikolai Kretzsky."




omg this is such a serverus snape story



"My husband,"



OMFG FAKJDAFDJAKLJ YES
THIS IS A HAPPY ENDING AFTER ALL
----------------
That's it! What do you think of this review?(:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!