Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Book Review: Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass by Meg Medina.

Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your AssYaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass by Meg Medina.
Book Summary: In Meg Medina’s compelling new novel, a Latina teen is targeted by a bully at her new school — and must discover resources she never knew she had.

One morning before school, some girl tells Piddy Sanchez that Yaqui Delgado hates her and wants to kick her ass. Piddy doesn’t even know who Yaqui is, never mind what she’s done to piss her off. Word is that Yaqui thinks Piddy is stuck-up, shakes her stuff when she walks, and isn’t Latin enough with her white skin, good grades, and no accent. And Yaqui isn’t kidding around, so Piddy better watch her back. At first Piddy is more concerned with trying to find out more about the father she’s never met and how to balance honors courses with her weekend job at the neighborhood hair salon. But as the harassment escalates, avoiding Yaqui and her gang starts to take over Piddy’s life. Is there any way for Piddy to survive without closing herself off or running away? In an all-too-realistic novel, Meg Medina portrays a sympathetic heroine who is forced to decide who she really is.

Liana's Summary: Piddy Sanchez is told that Yaqui Delgado wants to kick her ass. But she doesn't even know who Yaqui Delgado is, or why she wants to kick her ass. Day after day, Yaqui tries to ruin Piddy's life by making each day for her terrible. Day after day, Yaqui doesn't stop. So what does she do? Does she run, or does she face her fears?

Rate(1-10): 8

I have to say, isn't that such a fab title? LOL. It's probably the longest title I've ever seen on a book and it's kind of ratchet too but aha no one cares because it's such a good story  We talked about this book in Book Club sometime in March when it came out, and I've been motivated to read this book ever since. Despite how the title is somewhat ridiculous, I really have to admit that it was a meaningful title, that probably drew a lot of readers.. including me.

Although reading about Latina girls fighting their butts off isn't my favorite sort of genre, I still liked this book. It was authentic and really portrayed a teen's life and how a bully can ruin it. 

Meg Medina wrote this book pretty well. She added a lot of humor that I probably laughed a lot at.. She also made a variety of interesting characters:

Piddy- She was the main character of this story, and an okay one at that. She wasn't exactly likable. She was sort of motivated to change, mainly because of Yaqui. She wasn't doing the things she wanted to do and letting Yaqui stand in her way. That in itself was kind of annoying on its own, and I was really disappointed that Piddy didn't bother to do anything..

Lila- Lila, I think, was my favorite character out of all of them. Yeah, she's the cool aunt of this story.. She sympathized with Piddy whenever she needed, and she was the one with most of the hilarious lines..

Joey- I don't know what to think about Joey. At first, I thought that he was just another one of those dudes that would leave Piddy disappointed, but hey! What do you know.. I still feel uncomfortable about the chemistry that developed between them, though..

.. there are more characters that I might just be too lazy to discuss LOL

Meg kept me turning the pages with this story of hers, and I hope to read more of her writing.

Quotes
Note: This was an ARC copy. Quotes in this copy may not be directly corresponding with those of the final print's.

"You can't go around with two loose onions in your shirt for all the boys to stare at," she snapped,..



Well
I kind of laughed harder at this than necessary but ok



"Creeper. What are you whipping out?"



OH MY GOD IT'S NOT GOOD THAT I UNDERSTOOD THIS
MY MIND IS POLLUTED



"Inside was a drug-dealer-size wad of bills."



That was the best comparison ever


"Library."



There's a.. library club?!



"I'll bet the boys die for you."



People at home: I bet all the boys die for you
Boys at school: Ew what is that thing is it alive



"I'm still breathless with fright and something like love."



Oh.. okay.. strange..



"Standing. What does it look like?"



this is why i love joey


"Come with me, Toad,"



I CAN'T GET OVER HOW HE CALLS HER TOAD



"Take care of yourself, Toad,"



CRYING BECAUSE THIS IS SO ROMANTIC SORT OF NOT REALLY
------------
That's that. What do you think of this review?

2 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by your review! This book has come across my library desk a few times but I have never had time to read it. Thanks, I think I will now :)

    Katelynn
    www.literarychameleon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!