Friday, July 5, 2013

Book Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout.

Obsidian by Jennifer L. ArmentroutObsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout.
Book Summary: Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 
If I don't kill him first, that is.

Liana's Summary: When Katy knocks on her neighbor's door, she gets the arrogant, irritating, and hot Daemon. When Daemon and his sister, Dee, both show abnormal abilities that humans could not possibly possess, Katy finds out that they're aliens. Aliens. Not from Earth. It's a difficult concept to grasp, but Katy grasps it nonetheless.. But will she be able to handle the whole thing, even with the dangers attached to it? Meanwhile, her feelings for Daemon are just a jumble..

Rate(1-10): 8

For one reason only (well, maybe not only..) did I pick up this book: I heard that the male lead character was H O T. Well, guys. Meet Daemon. (Who is, quite alike the role that Ian Somerhalder plays in TVD. Cocky, sexy.. you name it!) I'll talk more about Daemon later, but..

Alright. The cover. The only thing pleasant about that cover is Daemon's face. Or at least, the cover model's face. Well, I'll tell you why I think that. My grandmother walked into the room as I was reading this and asked why there were two people hugging on the cover and she started lecturing me about reading 'these types of books.' And plus, it's not cute. My mom would have freaked if she saw me reading something with a cover like this. And also, let me just take note of the covers for Onyx and Opal:


descriptiondescription
S E X U A L. Sort of. (I still want to read them, though.. so eager to continue this series.) They do hint at erotica. Which isn't cute. In my opinion, the covers should have more relation with the Luxen and Arum concepts, instead of Katy portrayed as, being all over Daemon. Which she sort of is. But that's beyond the point..

Now, Katy. She was one of those cliche.. annoying.. stubborn, i-can't-believe-this-is-forreal and no-i-won't-believe-in-supernormal-things type of character. She was insufferable, mostly, throughout the book, but since she was a book blogger, and she shared my passion for books, I kind of softened toward her, just a little bit. But still. She was just so.. stupid in some parts.. But she proved herself to be a good character.

Well, this book actually just STARTED getting interesting when the Luxen and Arum concept got introduced, and that was just a little sad because it was way in the middle of the book. Nonetheless, it seemed like this whole alien mojo thing was sort of difficult to explain! But Jennifer totes nailed it!

There was a part at the end of the book with some chapters in Daemon's point of view. It's in the paperback copy, not sure if it's in hardcover. Anyways, I just found the whole thing a bit awkward. I mean, I like discovering things about a character who's mysterious, but I kind of regret reading the Daemon part. Because it made him seem.. different. Not sure if I like that or not. I have to agree, though. He was pretty hot..

Overall, this was a pretty good book that I just drowned in. As some people would say, it was 'un-put-down-able!' With the engaging plot, Jennifer Armentrout will pull you in.


Quotes!


"Anytime is a bad time for you to come knocking on my door, kid."



Kid?! Well. Things just got awks



"..there is no such thing as privacy."




at least not in my household



"Yeah, it's a kind of hobby. What's yours? Kicking puppies?"



OMFG. KICKING PUPPIES. I JUST. THIS LINE IS TOO SNARKY.



"There are a lot more fun ways to get...dirty. Not that I'd ever show you."




Ouch.. LOL



"You have a blog?"




THEY ALWAYS ASK THAT DON'T THEY



"There's a McDonald's down the street. We'll get you a Happy Meal. Maybe that'll make you happier."




I think I'm starting to actually like Daemon like legit



"You read too much."




They always say that it annoys me



"You think I'm gorgeous?"




Well who doesn't



"..he lowered himself slowly."




WELL



"I'm not even attracted to you."




LIES



"Every time you lie, your cheeks turn red."





why does he have to intentionally---



"Daemon kissed me."




IT'S ABOUT TIME
-----------------
That's it! What do you think of this review?(:

2 comments:

  1. Your commentary on some of those quotes was perfect.

    I'm surprised you ended up liking the book so much despite being annoyed by Katy. I didn't think she was stupid per se, I just chalked it up to her being seventeen. Which can sometimes be pretty stupid. It was in my case.

    But making her a blogger was a stroke of pure genius. I loved it immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Please check out my blog if you are reading a series, as I post full plot summaries (spoilers included) of each book as a refresher without having to re-read previous novels when a new release comes out: http://janesspoileralert.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!