Friday, May 30, 2014

Discussion #20: Why Book Covers Are Important

Note: This is a matter of my own personal opinion. If you might find this kind of post offensive, please do not read. Thank you!

Before, I did a discussion post regarding whether or not you should judge a book by its cover. (The answer is no, btw.) HOWEVER-- This is different. This post, as you may have guessed, is regarding WHY having a nice book cover is extremely important.

Here are three plain reasons why:
1. I don't want to be seen in public with an ugly book.
2. If the book cover is unattractive, then it sells terribly. (You already know. You can have the best synopsis in the world, but if that cover is ugly, there is a very small chance that someone will be attracted to it in the first place, pick it up, and read it. Much less purchase it.)
3. People say to not judge a book by its cover, but a lot of us do it anyway.

I think you can agree with me that the cover is what attracts a reader to a book in the first place, right?

Let's say that an ugly book is stacked with other pretty books at a bookstore. The buyer would be attracted to the pretty books. Yes.

Let me just say that I've encountered a handful of people that thought "The cover was pretty, so I bought it. I don't even read." Those little shits didn't even read the synopsis  Personally, I don't do it, but a lot of people do.

I can recognize what type of book a book is because I've been book blogging for quite a while. I know what a stereotypical dystopian novel would have as a cover, or a contemporary romance novel. Those covers attract me.

So, friends:

The cover matters. A lot.

1 comment:

  1. I agree your reasons and great stuff. you are right that book become movies. i red a book the lords of ring and after some years i saw movie on it, great work. i share your good information with my friends who went with shanghai bus tours to enjoy their holiday

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!