Sunday, December 20, 2015

Book Review: I Hate Myselfie by Shane Dawson

I Hate Myselfie: A Collection of Essays by Shane Dawson
I Hate Myselfie by Shane Dawson
Goodreads Summary: The book that more than 12 million YouTube subscribers have been waiting for! Shane Dawson’s memoir features twenty original essays—uncensored yet surprisingly sweet.
From his first vlog back in 2008 to his full-length film directorial debut Not Cool, Shane Dawson has been an open book when it comes to documenting his life. But behind the music video spoofs, TMI love life details, and outrageous commentary on everything the celebrity and Internet world has the nerve to dish out is a guy who grew up in a financially challenged but loving home in Long Beach, California, and who suffered all the teasing and social limitations that arise when you’re a morbidly obese kid with a pretty face, your mom is your best friend, and you can't get a date to save your life.
In I Hate Myselfie, Shane steps away from his larger-than-life Internet persona and takes us deep into the experiences of an eccentric and introverted kid, who by observing the strange world around him developed a talent that would inspire millions of fans. Intelligent, hilarious, heartbreaking, and raw, I Hate Myselfie is a collection of eighteen personal essays about how messy life can get when you’re growing up and how rewarding it can feel when the clean-up is (pretty much) done.

Rating(1-10): 9.5



I cannot begin to express how much I loved this book.. I haven't enjoyed a book this much since February.

I watch Shane on Youtube, and he's a funny guy. His humor did not fail to shine through in his book. It was absolutely hilarious, and completely relatable to me. I think even if you don't watch his videos, you'd still enjoy it. (Unless you hate penis jokes.)

I found myself laughing out loud constantly at his jokes, allusions, and metaphors. I felt myself feeling sad when he was sad. He really added a lot of voice, and I'm not just saying that because I listened to the four hour long audiobook.

I'm highly recommending this read! It's definitely made me want to read other Youtubers' books!

1 comment:

  1. It was well written, well thought out, and I'm honestly very happy that he announced he'll be writing a second book in the future because I was kicking myself for going through this one so quickly. I didn't want to put it down, but I didn't want it to end either.

    Inflow Communications Shoretel Reseller

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!