Friday, September 14, 2012

Book Review: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn.

Nick and Norah's Infinite PlaylistNick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn.
Book Summary: It all starts when Nick asks Norah to be his girlfriend for five minutes. He only needs five minutes to avoid his ex-girlfriend, who's just walked in to his band's show. With a new guy. And then, with one kiss, Nick and Norah are off on an adventure set against the backdrop of New York City;and smack in the middle of all the joy, anxiety, confusion, and excitement of a first date.This he said/she said romance told by YA stars Rachel Cohn and David Levithan is a sexy, funny roller coaster of a story about one date over one very long night, with two teenagers, both recovering from broken hearts, who are just trying to figure out who they want to be;and where the next great band is playing.

Liana's Summary: Nick doesn't want Tris in his life anymore. It's all over- he just wants to live his life. But when she just HAS to come back, he's frustrated, so he asks a random girl to be his five-minute girlfriend, just to show Tris. She's Norah. She's not going to deal with his crap. But when she sees Tris, she immediately starts kissing Nick, just to show her. And romance actually starts to brew, even if slowly at first.

Rate(1-10): 7

Well, first of all, I got this book from the book club at my school, which is an important fact, because, if you know me well enough, I would have never picked this book up on my own, because, 1, it's really short. 2, It's not Paranormal, Dystopian, or Fantasy. 3, My mom would be all annoying about the cover, like, "LOOK AT THAT GIRL'S CLEAVAGE. WHY IS THE DUDE STARING AT HER CLEAVAGE. THIS IS A LOVE STORY. NO READING IT."I hate how my family thinks I'm still a little kid not fit for freaking romance stories. I absolutely hate movie covers because there is always this couple just standing there or something and ermagerd. I swear. I saw the other cover for this book, and it actually looked nice. Wow. I put a post-it in front of their happy smiling faces because then I would get no comments on the cover! Honestly, I tried to hide what I was reading the whole time I was reading it. Well, I gave it a 7/10 because..

There are too much cuss words! So like. There are some books with cuss words at the RIGHT time, in the RIGHT situation, in which something is REALLY, REALLY, bad. But in this book. They use "fucking," "fuck him," "fuck her," "bitch", etc, for every single thing. I swear. The F-word has got to be on every single page. LITERALLY. There's only like, 1 or 2 pages in this whole 183 page book that DON'T have cuss words. It's such a fake teenage stereotype. You don't even see the most ghetto people that try to be gangsters say words like that in every single sentence.

I don't think I like the main girl character. Norah is sort of like, awkward. I got the feeling that she was trying to be 'badass', but she really isn't. She dropped the f-bomb in every single sentence she said. If she was happy, sad, or whatever.

On the other hand, Nick, I think he's pretty cool. Other than he can get so attached to something.

After all my rantings, there are actually good things about this book, which is why I gave it a 7 instead of a 6 or lower! As the author of Dirty Little Secrets (C.J Omololu) said, there really was a 'voice' in this book! It was really fun to read. Despite the cuss words used at the wrong times. Cuss words don't really bother me when it's used in a really suspenseful and legit situation, but when people use it loosely and for no reason, ie, a lot of times in this book, I just get so annoyed at the stereotype and awkwardness of the overuse.

Like Incend, this book was alternating character POV's! So it would be Nick, and then Norah, and then Nick, and so on. It kind of gets confusing sometimes, which is why I always try to finish a chapter first before I have to do something else. If that makes any sense. Because, if I bookmark it on a page in the middle of a chapter, when I go back, I would be confused at who I left off on and what the heck they're talking about. Horrible explanation. I know. But oh well.

And since this is borrowed, and I wanted to do quotes, I have to pull out all the tabs I used. Argh. See why I hate borrowing books now?

Oh, and yes, the book club is supposed to meet one of the authors of this book- in October! David Levithan! I think it's really cool how we get to meet him after reading his writing and then fandom and stuff.

Another good thing about this book was that it had a cute ending! (: I was like, "Aw." Well. That's just me and my random commentary on stuff.

Also, the title has a catchy ring to it! Nick and Norah's. NicknNorah's. Derp. :p

I guess that's enough. It was a really short read, although it took me more than an hour. So, time for quotes! I think most of them have the f-word in it.

"I fucking told her not to come."



"..which is the biggest fucking joke I've ever not laughed at."

Overuse is not cool.

"Some of the older guys in the crowd check me out, give me a nod. It's not like I wear a Badge of Straight or anything.."

OH.

"She is looking so hot and I am feeling so cold and the guy...."

OKAY.

"..but would you mind being my girlfriend for the next five minutes?"


This has got to be the most messed-up question I have ever read.

"FUCK! I didn't expect NoMo to be such a good kisser."
Jeez, calm down. No need to use such words here.

"Yugo drivers are required to wear torn-and-graffitied hi-top Chucks shit on their feet."
OH HOLLA. CONVERSE. High five.

"Please don't tell me you're one of those guys who also names his dick."
Um.

"Why are you so fucking nice?" I ask, and shove Nick away. I don't bother to acknowledge his shocked expression.
Dang, why CAN'T a guy be nice?

"That's four times as long as any of my relationships lasted."
It's the next Kim Kardashian here. 15 minutes. World record.

"Can I have my fucking jacket back?"
"No,"



"The waitress probably thinks I'm the worst kind of perv, because I can't stop staring at the bathroom door."
Oh. LOL.

"If he turns out to be gay, I will be furious."
image 


"I want, I want, I want."
ONE DIRECTION OMG

"Norah Norah Norah--"
Singing in the Shower
-------------------------------
See. Look how much of the f-bomb is here.

I rest my case.

And that's all, folks! What did you think of this review?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!