Sunday, September 9, 2012

Book Review: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare.


City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare.
Mortal Instruments #2!
Book Summary: Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father.To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings — and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.

Liana's Summary: Clarissa Fray just wants everything back to how they were before, with none of these inconvenient situations happening one after the other. Simon is still desperately trying to show his love, still cautious of Jace Wayland despite the inevitable 'truth'. Clary and Jace know that it can't be, but they need each other. How is this supposed to work out? Anyway, no paying attention to relationship problems at this moment, when the antagonist- is on the loose. Cassandra Clare entertains you the whole entire 453 pages with the humorous, fantastic, and romantic second book of the Mortal Instruments series.

Rate(1-10): 10!

I finally finished this book! After a whole week. Gaah. So much homework and stuff though. D: Screw my procrastination.

Anyways, I have a feeling I'm going to rate all the MI books with 10, just because they're really fabulous and high on my recommendation list. (Great, more updates to Top 10's. Gimme a moment.) Okay, I'm done updating! I will always CONSTANTLY be editing that list!

I know there's a lot of negative reviews on this book, as I have mentioned in the City of Bones review. But it's okay, since the majority of reviewers think it's fab! I'm one of them, of course. (: It's a really high recommendation for all avid readers out there. I mean, this book has EVERYTHING. Fantasy, romance, suspense, action. Gaah.

Since I read the Infernal Devices series first, I thought William Herondale was the PRINCE of Arrogance. And then I met Jace Wayland. Compared to Jace, Will is just so nice and considerate. (Shocker!) But I still like Jace anyway. (:

I know this isn't Twilight, but, I can't really decide between Team Jace or Team Simon. Because they're both so perf, they both give the aura of 'awesome-fictional-guy-character'. Except Simon and his nerdiness. (Video Games. Yugi-oh cards or something like that. He's SIXTEEN.) I don't really mind though, because if they were both perfect, the story wouldn't even be realistic. They both have flaws, and I respect that. Whenever an author tries to make the dreamiest guy, perfect, I don't find him that fab&perf. A guy can't be PERFECT. You know what just popped into my head at that moment. Nobody's Perfect. LOL. How old is that song now?

Oh yeah. There's this HUGE, HUGE, HUGE TWIST that happens somewhere in the middle! You have been warned. c; And some parts in this book were so heart-wrenching that you just want to cry. I completely adore Cassandra Clare. I love her books! J'adore Cassandra Clare's  les livres. Ermagerd. I know how to say it in French, too. And it's like, the second week of school. Oh la la! (':

I love how the author ends the chapter with something suspenseful. I try to do that in my writing, but, it's really hard! The ending of this book is such a cliffhanger too.
I think my review for the first book was longer, since it's when I just expressed all my thoughts about the series and Cassandra Clare's writing. Now I have no more thoughts to express. LOL. Well then, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series, but not at this moment! I take a break between books in a long-ish series. (Explains why there are a lot of book reviews between City of Bones and this one.) So I suppose, it's time for quotes? And yes, I've got a ton.

 Oh ,would you look at that!

"You may call me Valentine."



"Every once in a while one of them would speak, but since it was all Japanese with Chinese subtitles, it didn't clarify much."
There's such thing as anime with English subtitles. You know.

"I'm tired of this anime. I can't tell what the plot is and no one ever has sex."
Which is why I love Simon! His ridiculous comments about everything!

"..about to say so when he leaned down and kissed her."

"His mouth was soft, softer than Jace's had been,..."
OH. RIGHT IN THE FACE, JACE. AHAHAH.

"..and yanked the wings off a ladybug."


Ladybugs are the scariest bugs ever.

"If he gave up gaming, it would be her fault,.."


"Hurt?" Jace sounded incredulous. "She's hurt?"

She's butthurt. ;DD

"They call us mundanes. Like they're not human beings. They're not friends with ordinary people, they don't go to the same places, they don't know the same jokes, they think they're above us."



"She lets me pay her in books."


"And ran into a vampire?"
"What? No! I fell!"
"On your neck?"

There are reasons to love Jace. LOLOL.

"Inquisitor Herondale. He's agreed..."

-gasp-

"She flipped the phone open..."
Flip, flip. Flip, flip~ Okay- a flip phone? ._.

"I know, Malik," she said. "These are my children."
OH. MALIK.


"Nobody asked."
The universal excuse for not telling something until they ask about it.

"He shimmered with layers of glitter."
Magnus Bane is the only immortal who can pull off the glitter legitimately.

"I love round tables," said Magnus brightly. "They suit me so much better than square."
King of Sparkles and Randomness.

"He's quoting Dungeons and Dragons," said Clary. "Ignore him."
Oh. LOL.

"She said she doesn't want it," said Simon. "Ha-ha."
"Ha-ha?" Jace looked incredulous. "That's your comeback?"


 

Alec looked puzzled. "Who's Madonna?"
Oh, Alec!

"As you wish."
-pedoface- The Princess Bride. -pedoface-
"Nothing less than seven inches."
Meliorn gazed at her stonily.
"I'm talking about my heels," she said.



"Because it's impossible," she said,..
Nothing is impossible.

"You even drooled," he added. "On my shirt."
Ew. o:

He widened his eyes. "Something you want to tell me?"

LOLOL. Don't assume things, Simon.

"Get out of the way, mundane," in a tone of immense annoyance.
 I like using the Snape gif for everything arrogant.

"Yes," he said, knowing what she was about to ask. " I mean you."
(': And dramatic sad Asian music was playing as I read this ,too. omfg.

"It's a fabulous idea." 
 Fabulous.

Luke looked exasperated. "Why would I have a spider? Do I look like someone who would collect them?"
"No offense," Jace said, "but you like of do."


Luke's reply was funny enough. But Jace's comment just made me laugh so hard. omg. I feel a six pack coming.

"I know your name, Magnus Bane."
Hey- that rhymes!

"The Clave does not make threats, Lucian Graymark. The Clave makes promises and keeps them."


"Coffee," he declared. "I need coffee."


"Perfect."
I'm scared. D:

"Could it be that all this is because you're attracted to me?"
His arrogance never dies.

"I deplore this modern habit of calling one's parents by their first name."
I can just imagine Scout Finch saying, "My father will hear about this."

"Nothing," said Valentine, amused. "Yet."
This guy is almost as evil as Voldemort. (NOT) But he's still so darn evil I'm scared every time he says something.

"Okay, now take your shirt off."
"I knew there was something in this for you."


I just love his remarks.

"If you're texting Magnus to say 'I think u r kewl,' I'm going to kill you."
GAY PRIDE, ALEC. GAY PRIDE. LOL. Text him what you like. (x

"I don't care what she thinks. She's a hideous bitch and she has got to be stopped."
This is the part where I feel a liking for Isabelle! (:

"Silver powder."



"Clary," he whispered instead.


"Never," Luke said. "That's not done." 
It simply isn't done.

"His skin there was a paler gold.."
He's yellow? (; Jace is Asian?

"Imogen," said Maryse.
"Maryse!" The Inquisitor's voice rose. 


Donkey!












"Then my answer is no."
WHAT DID JACE TELL YOU. OH, SMACK IN THE FACE, YOU OLD HAG.

"Bastard!" Isabelle shouted suddenly, and made as if to run forward; Alec grabbed her arm and dragged her backward, holding her there. "He's a dickhead," she hissed, then raised her voice, shouting at Valentine: "You're a-"
I can't agree with Isabelle more. I'm actually starting to like her! (:

"My jacket," said Jace in a rage, and stabbed down at the thing as it rose, piercing its back. It shrieked and disappeared. "I loved that jacket."
Jace's jacket! C'mon! D:

"Teenagers," said Luke,..
Are fab! (;

"And something seized her by the back of her shirt, hauling her upward."
NOOOOOOOO. D: So close!

"..was an Oni demon."
It's anime time.

"There was no answer. ------------ had slumped back against the deck, her eyes wide open and staring, her mouth curved into what almost looked like a smile."
I didn't want to put who died, since that would be a spoiler, so I just put the dashes. Anyway, Jace was so close from hearing what she was about to say! D: But she just died on him like that. Pssh. Oh well. And it's creepy to smile when you're dead! :c
---------------------

Alas. That was a lot to type!

And that is the end of it! What did you think of this review? (:

2 comments:

  1. Hi!

    Wow, you rally have a very complete and thorough review here! :D

    I really enjoyed reading your review. instantly following you.

    Please visit my book-blog http://deskynowsky.blogspot.com/ and leave comments (if you have any ;) ) . Follow back if you like my blog.

    Nice to book-blog-meet you. Hope to read more of your posts!

    Cheers,
    Deska

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!