Sunday, August 12, 2012

Book Review: Aurelia by Anne Osterlund.


Aurelia (Aurelia, #1)Aurelia by Anne Osterlund.
Aurelia #1.
Book Summary: An impressive debut, equal parts commercial appeal and literary prowess.Princess Aurelia is next in line to rule the kingdom of Tyralt, but she would rather be one of the common folk, free to learn and roam and . . . not marry the next tyrannical prince that comes courting. Naturally, the king wants Aurelia to marry for political power. Aurelia wants to marry for love. And someone in the kingdom wants her . . . dead. Assigned to investigate and protect Aurelia is Robert, the son of the king's former royal spy and one of Aurelia's oldest friends. As Aurelia and Robert slowly uncover clues as to who is threatening her, their friendship turns to romance. With everything possible on the line, her life, her kingdom, her heart, Aurelia is forced to take matters into her own hands, no matter the cost.

Liana's Summary: Princess Aurelia knows it's her duty to be a proper princess. She knows she's not as alluring as Princess Melony, her half-sister, and she's next in line to rule Tyralt. When Robert comes along, Aurelia wants to marry for love- not for riches. With shocking twists, Anne Osterlund writes an entertaining story to read, where the girl saves herself, not depending on the guy at all.

Rate(1-10): 8

First of all, I thought the cover was really fabulous. Like, omg. So pretty! And for the FIRST, FIRST FIRST DARN TIME, the person on the cover matches the character description. (: YAY!

I pretty much enjoyed reading it, although there were a lot of derp parts where I didn't know what I was reading. I'm exhausted. Ahhh.

Since I read this on the ereader, and I downloaded this somewhere, the names weren't even capitalized. omg. I was so annoyed. Whoever typed this up, aajfkl;dsjfldj.

I think the climax was really gripping, and I need to learn from Anne Osterlund about how to write gripping..ly. There's not really a word to describe. So grippingly is good enough.

What I like is that Anne Osterlund actually said hi before I read this. Also, she's read Graceling! (: Hehehehehe. Which is why I love Goodreads, man. Okay.

There are like, huge twists. I wasn't that shocked because I read a summary/review this one person did, and I kinda got a spoiler. I was expecting it, so it wasn't surprising. Which is why you shouldn't trust other people's reviews. fjajlsdfj

The ending is such a cliffhanger. Well, not really. But still. It's epic. I was smilin' to myself.

There were these parts that were just quite amusing. :3 I DID like this book, but not so much that it's on my Top 10's. Still like it though. ;D It was amazaaaayn.

Also, I really like the name Aurelia. Robert is an okay name. That's my aunt's boyfriend. omg. He's so scary.

What annoyed me was that it was in 3rd person. Only some books can pull that off, like Infernal Devices, Harry Potter, Graceling, and some others. When I read the first sentence of this book, I was like, Gahh. Third person. And there was this part in which Robert killed someone and I thought he freaking died so I cried and I re-read it and then I was happy. Anyway.

Quotes~ I actually have quite a bit this time. ;D

"Then, bending down, skirt hitched up, she scratched her ankle in a highly satisfying, undignified manner.."
LOL. Scratch that ankle, girl.

"He squinted red eyes at Aurelia and reached out a pawing hand at her bodice..."
EWWWW. o__o The thing is, whenever authors use 'pawing' I just think of bears. LOL. But ewww.

You certainly won't stop me. Aurelia whirled and stalked from the room..
Yes. You go Aurelia.

"I haven't seen a lad chase after a girl with such gusto in a long time.."
omg, it makes him sound like a pervert. But he was just trying to protect her.

"The seaman uncurled himself from his seat..."
Seaman. omg. Sorry, sorry, but.. um. seman.

"Mr. Vantague flung up his hands in disgust and slammed..."
I like that name Vantague. Anyway, that gesture is awesome! Fling hands into the air. I know, weird. LOL.

"Tonight," he replied.
So darn dramatic. TAH-NITE.

"Drew gripped Robert's shirt and tugged."
JIGGLE HIM BY THE SHIRT DREW. DO IT.

"The noxious smell of urine and molding..."
I was eating. Gah.

He moved forward and gripped her shoulders. "Never." His voice was harsh. "Never think that!"
o_____o Dramatic! Oh yes. Their first kiss. (': I was so happy.

"Edward reached out and ran his index finger in a slow curve around her jaw."
Ewww. Fail attempt of seduction. Because he's like, 70 years old.

"Wait here for several minutes."
Uh huh. -_-'

"Hurry, Aurelia! Robert screamed in his mind. Send someone! Please hurry!"
Okay, so it's the guy's turn to be the maiden in distress?!

"...but even as he screamed, -----'s sword jabbed downward, this time at an angle. Gripping the sword with both hands, ----- brought all the strength he could muster in one thrust, straight at Robert's chest."
This part was so darn scary. I was holding my breath. Btw, the ----- is for not spoiling ANYTHING. ----- is THE person. You know.

"She should be arrested."
His expression hardened. "Don't be naive."

Her? Naive? Please. It's just because you're a stupid git that you're not willing to call yourself naive. Because you ARE.

"...instead he would marry his older daughter to a man three times her age."


"..she wanted to pound on the desk and argue.."

"He's gone!" ------'s voice rose in hysteria.











"Now it doesn't matter, does it?!" she screamed. "You've destroyed everything. I hope Edward strangles you in your marriage bed."



"You," she said. "are the only person I can trust."
<3 Aww. & Happily Ever After!~ :D I hope.

---------------

"Quite a bit." You get it?! ;D Quite a bit.. omg that's not even funny.

Yeah, guys. I know. A lot of flipping table memes. (x In a row. Anyway, that will be all! I love authors that can get emotion out of me. (':

The second one to the Aurelia series is Exile, btw. I must read it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!