Friday, August 10, 2012

Book Review: Shadows Cast by Stars by Catherine Knutsson.


Shadows Cast By Stars Shadows Cast by Stars by Catherine Knutsson.
Book Summary: Old ways are pitted against new horrors in this compellingly crafted dystopian tale about a girl who is both healer and seer.Two hundred years from now, blood has become the most valuable commodity on the planet—especially the blood of aboriginal peoples, for it contains antibodies that protect them from the Plague ravaging the rest of the world.Sixteen-year-old Cassandra Mercredi might be immune to Plague, but that doesn’t mean she’s safe—government forces are searching for those of aboriginal heritage to harvest their blood. When a search threatens Cassandra and her family, they flee to the Island: a mysterious and idyllic territory protected by the Band, a group of guerilla warriors—and by an enigmatic energy barrier that keeps outsiders out and the spirit world in. And though the village healer has taken her under her wing, and the tribal leader’s son into his heart, the creatures of the spirit world are angry, and they have chosen Cassandra to be their voice and instrument....Incorporating the traditions of the First Peoples as well as the more familiar stories of Greek mythology and Arthurian legend, Shadows Cast by Stars is a haunting, beautifully written story that breathes new life into ancient customs.

Liana's Summary: Cassandra Mercredi is one of them- one of the people who are immune to the Plague that's killing hundreds. However, that still doesn't make her safe, because even if she had the Plague, she dies either way. So, she runs. She runs somewhere safe, where the government can't find her- her and her blood. Meanwhile, she can see things that no one else can. Soon, she becomes Medicine Woman. It's her job to help the people.

Rate(1-10): 8.1

Yeah. Uneven decimal, I know. I don't think it deserves just an 8, because it was pretty good. But not that good that I want to give it a 9. I basically finished this last night, last minute too, so I didn't have time to do the book review then. So now I'm doing it.

I thought that this book was pretty good. What got me excited was that it was the same exact font as Graceling, and the same exact size, and the same exact (Maybe not but still) number of pages. And, plus, pretty cover!

Here's my opinion on the romance. I thought it was kinda unnatural, you know? Like, first, they're strangers. And then they hold hands. And then they kiss. And then they smile. I'm just going to thank the lord that the romance isn't as awkward as the romance in Shadow by Jenny Moss. I enjoy romance. But it's not really natural.

I kept doubting myself about whether this book was dystopian or not, because it sounds so.. historical with the animals and tribes. But then the summary DOES say 200 years from now. Man, that feels good, knowing you're hundreds of years older than the main character. :)

Unfortunately, during the climax, I was at summer school, aka the place where crazy people shout and yell and make crazy constipated sex noises. Ahem. So then I didn't get a word I was reading. D; But, it's okay, since I got the main idea. Anyways. It was so darn sad. I was like. NOOOO WHYYYY! Also unfortunately, I couldn't read at home and sit and relax and drink a soda. Instead, I had to read in the car. Did I ever tell you I never get carsick even when I read in the car? (: That's good. But I hate doing homework in the car because my dad drives like a maniac and my mom drives in jerks. I be flippin' tables if they flip my homework off the seat AGAIN.

Anyways. Quotes. I didn't do a lot because I was trying to save tabs. LOL. I went to Wal-Mart and I bought like 8 packs of tabs. YAY! (: Because YOLO ok. People use YOLO for doing stupid stuff but I use YOLO for reading books, buying books, and getting book-related stuff. (x Anyway. Quotes.

"Damn it all, Cass!"
:c I'm scared.

"..And then someone shot me and I fell."
Wow. Blatant.

"..the Band signed the treaty land surrounding our house back to the UA, and and left for the island left for the Island."
WHAT. I didn't get that sentence at all. Yes, I typed it WORD FOR WORD. First of all, there were two ands and two "left for the islands." So I do know this is a reviewer's copy. It's not even revised. I don't know what to say. Also, there was this sentence where I saw "\" And I was like, OOOOOU! TYPO. I got excited for no reason, omg.

"...where I would have a future that didn't involve marrying a warrior and bearing him babies..."
BEARING HIM WHAT. One does not simply say that out loud.

"My darling," she whispers, reaching out to touch him and then withdrawing her hand as if she was about to make a mistake. "I've missed you so!"
She's crazy! I'm scared. D;

"They'll always come back for food."
Of course. Guys and food. Together forever.

"How dare she inspect me like I'm a fatted calf?"
BEST. SIMILE. EVERRR.

"Apollo gave you the gift of prophecy by licking your ears, you see, and then took it away when you refused to sleep with him. Not nice, that Apollo."
What. What. I'm confused. Who licks ears? Ear wax, man!

"Maybe later, Paulie."
Okay. Out of all the dumb shortened guy names. Paulie?! Even Laurie-Lawrence is better than that!

"The world is about to change."
I'm nervous! It's getting good.

"Another scar," I murmur as I tie off the knot.
He grins. "Good."


Paulie is emo.

"In answer, I lean in and kiss him."
Whoa, whoa! What is this forward-ness?!

"Finally!" Bran flings his head back and whoops so I can't help but smile. "The girl is worried about me!"
Awh, how cute!

"I didn't know there were mermaids in the lake."
EWWW. PERV. Mermaids have tails, not vajayjays.

"Like hell you do." I spot Paul walking across the sundeck up at the house. "Paul!" I scream. "Paul!"
PAUL! HELP!

"What's the matter, Mercredi? I'm just having a bit of fun!"
What. A. Manwhore.

"What the hell are you thinking? Swimming naked where everyone can see you?"
YEAH. WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING OMG.

"Here!" Bran screams. He's back up on the dock. "Give me your hand!"
Oh my goodness. Cassandra! D;

Madda pulls my father back. "Lou, let her go. I need to check her over."
LOU~ (:


"Oh, hell," he says.
So reminds me of Charlie barging in on his sister having sex in The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

"Okay. Let's do it."
LET'S DO IT. -pedoface-

"You're thinking too loud," Madda says as she rolls over. "Stop it. You're keeping me awake."
This was amusing to me. :)

"Now, take off your shirt."
o________o

He sits down so close to me that we're almost touching, and then reaches under my blanket, putting his hand on my thigh. I reach down, pick up his hand, and put it on his own leg. He returns it to mine, and I return it to his. " I think it should stay there," I say, giving his hand a light pat.
"Give me a break," he murmurs. "We're finally alone."

Oh, come on! This was amusing to me also. (x

"What a pussy."
DSFKSHD:FSJ YOU'RE A PUSSY YOU PUSSY.

"They sit there, hand in hand..."
BROMANCE!

And now it looks like I've got you and your boyfriend after all.
Boyfriend? o_o
----------------------------
Character discussions, guys.

Madda- She's my favorite character. :) In the beginning, I thought she was crazy. omg. I didn't like her. I don't think I like her name. Madda. :\ Oh well. Still! My favorite character. (:

Avalon- I don't like her. Never will. Started out rude, ended up rude.

Paul- I liked Paul good enough, but then...

Cedar- I thought he was a huge pervert, but then I feel bad for him because he really liked Cassandra and she chose Bran over him.

Bran- I like Bran. He's fab.

Cassandra- Strong female protagonist! I like. (:

I don't think this book made it to my high-obsessions list, but I still liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!