Saturday, August 11, 2012

Book Review: Wolves, Boys, and Other Things That Might Kill Me by Kristen Chandler.


Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill MeWolves, Boys, and Other Things That Might Kill Me by Kristen Chandler.
Book Summary:  KJ Carson lives an outdoor lover’s dream. The only daughter of a fishing and wildlife guide, KJ can hold her own on the water or in the mountains near her hometown outside Yellowstone National Park. But when she meets the shaggy-haired, intensely appealing Virgil, KJ loses all self-possession. And she’s not sure if it’s a good thing or a bad thing that they’re assigned to work together on a school newspaper article about the famous wolves of Yellowstone. As KJ spends time with Virgil, she also spends more time getting to know a part of her world that she always took for granted . . . and she begins to see herself and her town in a whole new light.

Liana's summary: Katherine Jean Carson is finally starting to look like a girl. But, just because her new appearance is different from her old one, it doesn't mean that her classmates have forgotten every single embarrassing detail from the past, and when Virgil Whitman comes along, they put her on full blast. Meanwhile, with KJ suspecting him, Virgil tries to get along with her, and along the way, they find romance, wolves, and disaster.

Rate(1-10): 8

So, usually, I don't like those books that are set in the 2000, or 1990, or something modern, without some.. MAGICKK. Magic is missing. D; When I first saw this book, I apparently thought that there were werewolves, but they're actually actual wolves. LOL. Well, because it's modern, I didn't give it a 10. Otherwise, this was a pretty good modern book! I keep saying modern. Like rlly. I think all my books are set somewhere NOT to this time, and if it is, at least there's magic. This isn't my book actually. :p But my point is, I liked it! (:

Discussing the name Virgil: Well. When I was taking a Diagnostic for the SAT, I read a passage in the Critical Reading section. And the narrator was named Virgil. That's honestly the first time I heard that name, (About 4 weeks ago) and I thought it was a girl's name and I thought the narrator was a girl until I saw the questions about HIM. Yeah, well, my main point is, I like that name good enough now. (x I do. Maybe I'll use it somewhere..

Discussing the name KJ: Usually protagonists aren't really named two letters, but I suppose it adds to her 16 years of boyishness. Katherine Jean. Eh. I like it because it's unique. (: Besides, JK Rowling. KJ Carson. I like it. (x One thing- I've always imagined Kristen Stewart as KJ. Don't know why. But she fits! Even if I don't like her, but.. oh well.

The main concentration about wolves: I don't know. Wolves. Apparently the author knows wolves. I'm one of those writers who WON'T use self experience for a character. (Despite the birthday so I can remember it. Besides. That's what Joanne K. Rowling did.) Anyways, I don't think that the story would have been interesting if it wasn't for the wolves.

Before I read it I thought: Virgil was a werewolf and he was going to bite KJ and she's gonna be "Wolf Girl" (on the back of the book!) And then yeah. Apparently I haven't paid enough attention to reviews. omg.

After I read it I thought that it was pretty unique. I have less quotes. ;D

I skimmed through a lot. I finished last night at 12:30PM. Here's Liana's step-by-step tutorial on how to sneak in the middle of the night: I shouldn't be teaching this, but um.

1- Wait for 5 minutes after the lights are off.
2- Move an inch.
3- Move another inch.
4-Repeat step 2-3 until you're off the bed.
5- Fast is quiet. Now run to the bathroom.

It totally occurred to me that many of you have your own rooms and can just turn on the lights. LOL. But this is why I like the ereader.

Quotesssss~~

"And the coyotes are biting him. Very exciting."
o________________O I don't know, man, exciting ain't really a weeerd to describe this.

"After sixteen years, I finally started to look like a girl this summer. I had to buy a real bra,..."
Uhh. Don't even know what to say.

"Either he has a crush on Virgil too..."
omg. This made me laugh out loud.

"Whatever, Just because you got boobs and a haircut. He's still way out of your league, sweetie."
How. Rude. Like he's in your league?

"...and he gifted me a C-. I still can't do math."
EWWWWWWWWWW. A C- LIKE EWWWWWW GET AWEY. Not even I am that bad. And I stink at math. Like, I got a B. Two times in a row. </3

"Don't tell me to shut up."
"Both of you shut up."


LOL. Shut up, don't tell me to shut up, both of you shut up. (x

".....I have Sexy Hair sitting in front of me?"
Okay, one thing I forgot to mention: Virgil's not that hot. But, oh well. Sexy Hair? o_o

Virgil's warm Minnesota voice floats out in front of me. "When the value of the variables changes, when the values can be reversed or destroyed, it changes the inequality."
WOOOH. Go Virgil!

"I mean, I noticed you. You're pretty."
Even I don't know what to say.

"You look like you have a giant hickey."
EW.

"You're dad's a tough guy,"
What. YOUR. It's YOUR NOT YOU'RE LIKE WHAT KIND OF WRITING IS THIS IT'S YOUR! Sorry. I get like that when people mix up you're and your. Like. Really. I'm sad to say that the author did this two times in the book.

"Like what? Do you think I'm gay or something?"
"You're not?"


omg. You offended him, girrrrrrrrrrrrl.

"Mud looks good on you."
-_______-'

"You know.. the guy..."
"The guy?"

LOL. THE GUY. He's THE guy. (x

"What if Virgil becomes my stepbrother?"
EWWWWW.

"I go to the kitchen and make him a sandwich."
Way to go with the stereotype, KJ. Way to go.

"So what if they sleep in the same room."
Overprotective dad!

"Do you ever wear clothes around my daughter?" 
omg. (x NO SIR. It's a mere coincidence.

--------------

Well, that's it! Goodbyeeeeeeeeee~





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!