Sunday, August 5, 2012

Book Review: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare.


Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare.
Infernal Devices Series #1.
Book Summary: Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still.When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

Liana's summary: Tessa Gray is from New York. When she's finally going to see her brother, she's greeted by the Dark Sisters instead. She doesn't know that they know what she doesn't know. So, they take her to London- where she discovers so many things. About warlocks, vampires, hunting demons, and especially, pain and love. Three main characters: Tessa Gray. William Herondale, aka Will. James Carstairs, aka Jem. Three books to the series: Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince, and coming soon, Clockwork Princess. Cassandra Clare's writing will lure you, and take you to another world-- a world of Nephilim and Downworlders.

Rate(1-10): 10!

This book was one of the best books I've read in a while. It wholly deserves a ten. This is my first Cassie Clare book, and she must be a goddess.

So, you all know there are three characters. Tessa, Will, and Jem. The hot dude on the cover is Will. Btw. On Clockwork Prince, though, it's Jem. And on Clockwork Princess, it's obviously Tessa. Why is she so pretty. omg. Pretty covers. I'm in love.

My friend, after a long while of screaming and fangirling about this book for a while, recommended this book to me as a PRIORITY, so how could I pass?

So. Something about Will. He's tall. And has brown hair. And he's smoking hot in appearance. He may be somewhat of a cocky jerk, but you'll love him anyway.
Something about Jem: Well, he's my favorite. He's half-Chinese and he has silver hair, silver eyes, and pale complexion. No, he's not a vampire. I like him better than Will. It's not really hard to choose after reading this book, really, but then I'm ready for Clockwork Prince to be a major shocker. I'M READY. (MY BODY IS READY) And, just for good measure, Jem always says the wise and inspirational quotes. But still. It's okay Will. I still love you.
About Tessa. Well, I really like her. She's a likable main character, and her ability is just fab. She's so brave and the way she thinks and acts are independent and just plain awesome.

"..the Japanese art of flower arranging.."

Does that even matter, omg.

"How can you not understand?" He pointed at her books. "You read novels. Obviously, I'm here to rescue you."

Books. -pedoface- This has got to be my favorite Will line.

She moved toward Tessa--and was blocked by Will leaping down from the table to put himself between them.

Prince Charming to the rescue. <3

"Will!" he shouted. "Will, she bit me!"

I love it when main characters bite a person and they make a big deal out of it. But still- LOL.

A moment later he was moving toward Tessa; she stepped back hurriedly and he opened the door, pausing only for a moment on the threshold...

I'm scareeed. D:

A woman with tattoos!

Don't sound so astonished. Oh well, it is the 18th century.

"Henry," he said, "you're on fire. You do know that, don't you?"

YES YOU'RE LITERALLY ON FIRE OMG. HE'S NOT COMPLIMENTING YOU HENRY LOOK DOWN YOU'RE ON FIRE.

Henry glanced down at his arm, and his mouth dropped open. 

Finally.

"...know what this means?"
Will set the vase down. "That you set yourself on fire and didn't even notice?"


..which is what I like about Will's replies. LOLOL.

"I know you," he said. "You bit me!"

Nicest way of remembering people. omg.

"What is your ability?" Jessamine demanded.

At first, I hated Jessamine's guts, but like, now I just somewhat feel dislike towards her. I'm pretty impressed at what she did. Oh yes, LOTS and LOTS of twists. Cassandra Clare's writing. <3

"Excellent!" Henry looked pleased. "I enjoy being shown things..."

Awk moment where I thought wrong.

"It isn't against the law to be an idiot..."

(x

Tessa, amused at the idea of a fat Will...

Oh, can you imagine that!

"Not at you." said Will, grinning, "more because of you. I've never seen anyone get so excited over books before. You'd think they were diamonds."

I LOVE BOOKS.

And with that, he spun on his heel and walked away..

PSH. TOO FABULOUS TO MERELY TURN HUH. You have to swirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl~ And spin~~~ On your heel. Really. Every time an author uses that phrase I just imagine the character flipping their hair and acting all pompous. fdjaksjd I'll never use that in Incend..

...despite the fact that Tessa had barged into his bedroom in the middle of the night and surprised him playing the violin in his nightclothes. 

See how nice Jem is omg he's not even mad.

When she thought of China, all that came to mind was Marco Polo and tea.

-______________-'

"Hear that Tessa? I'm a devil. So are you."

Yeah, okay. Devils and angels. In the same book. <3
Jem began-- and doubled up, suddenly racked with an explosive fit of coughing so violent that he slid from the steamer trunk to crouch on his knees.

OMG JEM ARE YOU OKAAAY? D:

Blood..

Simple word made me get scared.

"We'll probably have to knock down the door--"
"Or," said Jem,  reaching out and giving the knob a twist, "not."

WHICH IS WHY I LOVE JEM.

"BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE--"

"Good God," muttered Jem.

omg. Best reaction ever. I would be screaming and dying and etc.


"Girls shouldn't read novels."

WHAT. DID. YOU. SAY.

The Magister.

Creepiness down my spine.

"How is this different from his being totally ridiculous in the library or the weapons room or any of the other places he's usually ridiculous?"

omg. LOL. Will is RIDDIKULUS. Sorry. Ridiculous. Couldn't help myself.

"Am I blind?" Will's voice floated out of the darkness, tinged with annoyance. "I'm not going to be at all pleased if you've blinded me, Henry.."

I know I'm saying it too much, but um. LOL.

...leaning so far back in his chair that the front legs came off the ground..

FALL FALL FALL ON YOUR BUM.

"So true"...

SO TRUE. LIKE PSHH.

"Charlotte needs you.."

PLEASE WAKE UP. I NEED YOU.

"The boy," he spat. "Stop him!"

In a British accent. I love it when that happens. (:

"You unbelievably stupid.."

SO MEAN.

"Bitch," he snarled at Tessa. "Lying traitorous bitch."

SO MEAN. OMG. SDLFJ:SDL

He struck Tessa to the found, landing on top of her...

UNINTENTIONAL RAPIST.

"Say it."

SAY IT. SAY IT OUT LOUD.

"Will?"

o_o

...his cane clattering awkwardly against her back..

Now is a cane entirely necessary?
"Jian."

SWORD.FJLFKJ:DSFJD

"But I don't want you to die."

AWHH.

"Really, Tessa, must you be such a wet blanket?"

Omg. LOL though.

"If you could pass along my apologies to your brother.."
" I don't think so," Tessa said.

Decline an apology, I see how it is.

Her parasol skittered from her hand..

An umbrella parasol thing in such an intense scene is quite ridiculous.

"Answer me!" he shouted. Fear made his voice crack..

Well well, Will.

"Is he all right?"
"Oh, who cares if he's all right?"


Omg. LOL. Again.

"You are not a fool like your brother. He is a fool and a coward. You are a fool who has some courage."

Exasperation though.

"I knew that I would one day marry you, and you would be mine forever..."

EWWWWW, BUT HE'S OLDD.
----------------------
So, for the people that hate third person as much as I used to, this book changed my mind about it. Even though I can never manage to write one. But yeah.
It's a high, high, high recommendation! Well, that's all! What did you think of this review?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!