Sunday, August 26, 2012

Book Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.


City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.
Mortal Instruments #1.
Book Summary: When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .

Liana's Summary: Clarissa Fray thinks she's normal. That is, until she meets a couple of Shadowhunters who are in the process of killing a blue-haired demon. Among those Shadowhunters, there's Jace Wayland. The arrogant one. The uber-sexy one. Meanwhile, her best friend, Simon, is in the process of expressing his love for his oblivious best friend. However, Jace might have beaten him to it. Clary's mother has disappeared- and Clary is depending on the Shadowhunters to help her, even if there might be a few sacrifices involved, along with a hurtful truth.

Rate(1-10): 10

So, first of all. When I first saw this book, I totally did the 'judge a book by its cover and title' thing. Which was a bad choice. The only reason I actually bothered to read it was that my friend recommended Infernal Devices to me, and this series was its companion. I actually enjoyed it! But I still think Infernal Devices is totally fabulous.

I'm not sure what in the world is with all those negative reviews, two out of five stars, etc. Yeah, I know the cover isn't all that attractive. Jace doesn't look like that. He's supposed to be younger, not a full grown man. Look at that. Does the dude on the cover look 17? No, I don't think so. I know a naked man torso isn't an attractive cover. I know "City of Bones" sounds so creepy you can get the jeeter-jitters. But it's NOT creepy. It's fabulous. I'm not a fan of scary horror stories. NOT AT ALL. Which is why, you see, in the "Categorize" gadget, there is no section for HORROR. I'm not saying everyone shouldn't read horror stories, I'm just saying that I have this personal bias that all horror stories are going to give me creepy nightmares and stuff. And probably that bias is true! So yeah. I will NEVER, EVER, in my life, READ A HORROR. Jeeeeez.

Infernal Devices is before this series, actually. I mean, it takes place before this series. So, when my friend recommended Cassandra Clare books to me, I was so confused about whether or not to read Mortal Instruments before Infernal Devices, and vice versa. She didn't really answer my desperate question about which one to read first. She said, "IT'S YOUR CHOICE." And now, I totally get why she said that. Because, Mortal Instruments is more about Shadowhunters, while Infernal Devices is more about automatons and stuff. If you read Infernal Devices first, like me, you would totally get everything completely, and gasp at familiar names in Mortal Instruments. If you read Mortal Instruments first, then you'll suck all the information in and then apply them logically in Infernal Devices. And also gasp at familiar names. So it's totally your choice.

Character Discussions:

Clarissa Fray, Main Protagonist: I think she's a bit young to be a really strong main character, only 15 years old. I'm not comparing her to myself, I'm comparing her to other strong main characters in other books. So don't get a misunderstanding! Yeah, I thought she was strong. But I still like Theresa Gray from Infernal Devices better.

Jace Wayland, Side Protagonist: At first. I was like, ew, Jace. Go away. Please. And then I was like, YOU GO JACE. WOOOH. And then I was like, JACE. YOU SUCK BUTT. WHAT ARE YOU FREAKING DOING. And then. Um. Nah, I still think he sucks butt. But he's still awesome. Also, he's very, very, arrogant. I thought William Herondale was arrogant. But nooooo, Jace Wayland beat Will so bad. It's okay. I still like Will. omg, sorry to those people who don't understand a word I'm talking about. Long story. Will is from Infernal Devices, and very arrogant. Jace always has the perfect comebacks for some supposedly insulting comments towards him, and that's what makes him Mortal Instruments's Prince Charming!

Simon, Side Character: So, um. I was a huge Simon fan in the beginning. And then I got annoyed at his lameness, and then I liked him better a little. But I'm still a Jace fan, 100x more than a Simon fan. (: He's pretty cool. I can tell he's going to play a really big role in the 3rd/4th book. Look at those covers! 

City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3)City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) 
Simon, and Simon! I like his archery. He reminds me of Archer from Kristin Cashore's FIRE. That's kind of a good thing and a bad thing because- bad thing: Archer was such an ass. And a good thing because his archery was awesome. (:

Simon is awesome! Although I don't really admire that name. Jace's name just sounds hot on its own. Simon, really? Just sounds like a big game geek. (Cos' he is. omg, Cassandra Clare is a good namer.)

-Excuse this pause, my calendar just fell off the wall-

Okay, anyway. I love Cassandra Clare's writing. She's like, a role model to me. Every single chapter ends with a suspenseful moment. Every single time something big happens, she ends the chapter, forcing the reader to keep reading!

The thing about Cassandra Clare books. They just don't let you put it down, you know? Every time I'm bored to tears, I force myself to pick up the book I'm currently reading, telling myself that I've spent enough time on it anyway. Don't get me wrong, I am an avid reader. We all have those derp moments where we all regret when we don't feel like doing what we live for. In my case, reading. And I would read. I would immediately get un-bored and interested in the story, because every single part is captivating.

I think I talked enough. Well, yeah, you get it. For once, my opinion was totally wrong. Wow. Still, I feel uncomfortable carrying this book around, LOL. Because of the naked man torso. Yes. But the story is fabulous, and the other books of this series a lot more attractive. Oh yes.

Time for quotes! And I finally feel thankful for my SAT Vocab class because of the SAT words used in this book. (:

"Meanwhile," Simon added, "I wanted to tell you that lately I've been cross-dressing. Also, I'm sleeping with your mom. I thought you should know."
omg, Simon. Great way to get someone's attention, huh? This really cracked me up for some reason.

"Well, we know where he is too. He's in hell."
Those random lines that make you laugh for no reason.

"..and flung himself on Jace.."


"And his arm looked like an eggplant.."
Oh god, Clary. It's okay. I draw worse than you. That's why I have an illustrator, LOL.

"I thought you liked it when I was witty and ironic..."
NO. Do guys always think girls like that? I thought this was pretty cute though, since Simon is trying to get Clary's attention, but she's 100% oblivious that he has feelings for her.

"..his fingers lingering at the bare skin of her shoulder.."
Really. What a perv. How can she be so oblivious? It bothers me.

"He's cute. Does he have a girlfriend?"
OOOH, CLARY. YOU TELL HER THAT HE'S YOUR MAN.

"You're staring at me," Simon said. "Why are you staring at me? Have I got something on my face?"
This part reminds me of that one part in Disney's Tangled, where Eugene was muttering to himself, "HER HAIR GLOWS. WHY DOES IT GLOW. He's staring at me. Why is he staring at me?"

"We? I thought you were going to leave me alone."
"I lied," Jace said without a shred of embarrassment. 

Perfect comeback. See what I mean. I could never say that out loud, "I lied." so simply. This just made me laugh. I laugh a lot. (x

"..and you're going to be a dickhead about it because I'm not some spoiled-rotten rich brat like you and your sister?"
YOU GO CLARY. YOU TELL HIM. I thought I liked Alec at first. But um. Not really.

"Are you just going to let her stand there and call me names?"
"Yes," Jace said kindly.


omfg. See what I mean. I think all of you who haven't read this understand what I'm talking about with Jace's sarcasm and arrogance. Yet again, this made me laugh.

"Not everyone wants you all the time, Jace," he said.
"Don't be ridiculous,"


 "Don't be ridiculous. I'm fabulous."

"She didn't like me reading manga."
What. Is. This. This is honestly the first time I've seen mention of MANGA in a book full of Americans and all.

"Her hand cracked across his face, a slap that rocked him back on his heels."


"..especially when she looked at the red mark her slap had left on his cheek."
Aw, poor Jace. (x

"Jace laughed."
I couldn't find a gif for this one. :c Just imagine a guy hysterically laughing.

"..there was a series of heavy and cracking thumps, and then silence."
D: JACE. ARE YOU OKAY.

"I hate cucumber."
FINALLY. SOMEONE I CAN RELATE TO. I don't know what's so good about cucumbers. Ew. Cucumbers. Really.

"Ouch," Jace said in her ear, his tone indignant. "You elbowed me."
"Well, you landed on me."


This, for some weird reason, just made me laugh. I'm not really doing good reactions, am I? D:

"He struggled halfway into a sitting position, his battered glasses knocked askew."
Kid sits down backwards 

Wait for it, wait for it! This gif is not so perf. But pretty much expresses what I imagine!

"I want some soup," Simo said.
"No, you don't," said Jace. "You just want to sleep with Isabelle."


Oh, how could he tell. -____-' But, see? Jace's sarcasm and witty comments.

"MAGNUS BANE."
Oh, god. Him again! He was from Infernal Devices.

"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
This is why I love Jace.

"I doubt there are many warlocks named Magnus in the Tristate Area," said Jace.
You know what this reminds me of.

  "I'M TAKING OVER THE WHOLE TRI, STATE, AREEE, AAAHH!"

"..and found Jace sprawled out on the bed, looking at her sketchbook."
 Heh. Imagine Jace sprawled on her bed. (x

Jace looked wounded. "A diary with no drawings of me in it? Where are the torrid fantasies? The romance novel covers? The-" 
His arrogance.

"How did you guess?"
Omg, wtf. *gasp*

"I hate it when you answer a question with a question."
"No you don't, you think it's charming.."


I don't even know what to say.

"Will it hurt?"
I honestly think she's too scared of pain. She always asks that.

"The only person who gets to canoodle in my bedroom is my magnificent self."
#TooFabulousForYou.

"Not for free, darling, and you can't afford me."
#TooFabForYou. (Again.)

He dropped a glittery wink at Alec, who looked astounded. "Call me?"
Romance here! Magnus thinks Alec is sexy. (x

"..Jace turning away as if the brightness of the rising sun hurt his eyes."
Jace. :c

"..shoulder to shoulder, Clary's leg thrown over Simon's."
I don't even know how to imagine this- some 'best friend' pose.

"That is a lie!" 


"That's not my name," he said. "My name is Jace Wayland."
There you go! Jace is back. <3 (: WOOH! YOU GO JACE.
---------------------------

And that, is it! This is a high, high, high high recommendation. HIGH. I loved it. It's a really great fantasy!

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting point of view. I love the ID books at least the first one I haven't read the other one yet. I haven't yet to read the MI books. I will eventually. I followed you from book blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol funny review. Anyway, in the first volume Simon didn't appear very much, Idk how you liked him a bit and then you started to like Jace like I did in the first too. Well, in the second maybe u will like Simon again (I hopeeeeee *-*) OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!! \O\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking it out~! I THINK I LIKE THEM BOTH AT THE SAME TIME LOL. YES OMG RIGHT. ;D

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!