Friday, November 2, 2012

Book Review: Defiance by C.J. Redwine.


Defiance (Defiance, #1)Defiance by C.J. Redwine.
Book Summary: Rachel’s world is confined to the protective walls around her city. Beyond them are violent wanderers, extreme terrain, and a danger straight out of legend: a beast called the Cursed One that devastates everything in its path. When Rachel’s father goes missing, she is desperate to search for him. But her attempts to flee the city bring her to the attention of its overbearing ruler. His efforts to control her make the world within the walls seem as dangerous as that outside. Her only chance at escape is Logan. Once her father’s apprentice, and now her only protector, he feels that helping her might mean losing her completely. But if he can put his feelings aside, they might be able to save more than Rachel’s father. They might be able to break down the walls, and set their people free.

Liana's Summary: Her father is gone. He's not coming back. Rachel is trying to sneak over the Wall to look for him when she gets caught by the Commander. Rachel, Logan, and Oliver, plan intricately, for hours. But, at the last moment, their plans are ruined and it's up to Rachel- she's the only one who can. When Logan finds her when she's in the middle of her journey, the two fight the Cursed One together. Later on, they realize that their relationship is much more than they think it is. There still might be hope for the people.

Rate(1-10): 9

I know, horrible summary. I'm sorry! Just. I finished reading this book 12 hours ago and I don't really recall that much of the plot.

Ok. So, when I first heard of this book, I was like, NO WAY. "Fabulous cover. Fabulous title. Fabulous summary. What else could a reader ask for?" And I finally got my hands on it..

I really liked this book. Strong, persistent, female protagonist. I loved the plot and everything. I loved the setting the most, though, because it was like, Medieval, with Advanced Technology. It's not quite dystopian. The title is absolutely tell-tale. And the cover is just fabulous. omg.

So, the romance in this book was PERFECT. Just right. Liana approves. Some books just have too less and some just have too much.. erotica. Um. Anyways, Rachel and Logan (I know, I love both their names. Especially Logan's.) first are just standing on the edges, afraid to become closer with each other, and then they just give in when Logan realizes how much he cares for her. As for Rachel, she never stopped loving him. Faaaaaaaaaan-tabulous. It's kind of like Kristin Cashore's Graceling and William Goldman's The Princess Bride mixed together.

There were a lot of brutal and sad deaths though. I didn't really like them. I see that the good guys have to die sometimes, but, hey, no need to have most of the good guys die!

Anyways, this is a recommendation for almost anyone who's interested. It's great and enjoyable.

And yes, quotes.

"And then I'm going to lock her in my loft for as long as it takes to finish.."
That's so nice.

"I climb swiftly and pray I'm not too late."
YOU'RE TOO LATE. How ironic. She just said that he was too late, too.

"I raise my hand slowly, but she doesn't flinch as I press my palm against her cheek,.."


"I jerk back a step and swear."


"I still ache to press her against the wall and taste her."



"..and walk straight into chaos."
I just find this ridiculously funny for no special reason.

"I have an assassin to kill."
THE IRONY. OMG I CAN'T

"Best Case Scenario:..."
Note to self and future readers of this book.. Logan loves to do best/worst case scenarios. LOL.

"I tree-leap as quietly as possible."


That's amazing.
"I killed him."


"Tree-leaping."
That's just, wow.

"I love her."


"Wrong button."


"Done yet?"
One does not simply ask if a couple is 'done.'
----------------

And that, is it! What did you think of this review? (:

3 comments:

  1. Ayyy. You made it to 200! Getting ready to beat Ella Longstock!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a good one too. Do you think you'll read the next one in the series?

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!