Saturday, March 2, 2013

Book Review: The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan. (Heroes of Olympus #3)

The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, #3) The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan.
(Heroes of Olympus #3)
Book Summary: Annabeth is terrified. Just when she's about to be reunited with Percy—after six months of being apart, thanks to Hera—it looks like Camp Jupiter is preparing for war. As Annabeth and her friends Jason, Piper, and Leo fly in on the Argo II, she can’t blame the Roman demigods for thinking the ship is a Greek weapon. With its steaming bronze dragon masthead, Leo's fantastical creation doesn't appear friendly. Annabeth hopes that the sight of their praetor Jason on deck will reassure the Romans that the visitors from Camp Half-Blood are coming in peace.

And that's only one of her worries. In her pocket Annabeth carries a gift from her mother that came with an unnerving demand: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me. Annabeth already feels weighed down by the prophecy that will send seven demigods on a quest to find—and close—the Doors of Death. What more does Athena want from her?

Annabeth's biggest fear, though, is that Percy might have changed. What if he's now attached to Roman ways? Does he still need his old friends? As the daughter of the goddess of war and wisdom, Annabeth knows she was born to be a leader, but never again does she want to be without Seaweed Brain by her side.

Narrated by four different demigods, The Mark of Athena is an unforgettable journey across land and sea to Rome, where important discoveries, surprising sacrifices, and unspeakable horrors await. Climb aboard the Argo II, if you dare....

Liana's Summary: Annabeth is finally reunited with Percy. Everything's supposed to be perfect, right? Wrong.  It looks like war is coming. Seven demigods-- Percy, Annabeth, Jason, Piper, Hazel, Leo, and Frank. The seven of the prophecy. They must be separated. Each with different tasks. Annabeth must do her task alone, to avenge her mother-- to follow the Mark of Athena. 

Rate(1-10): 10

Someone tell me why I didn't pick this up earlier. (Probably intimidated by the thickness, which is nothing like me) I got this like, five months ago, aware of how good Rick Riordan was, and didn't pick it up 'till.. last week. Yeah, I know. I took forever. Mainly because I was procrastinating like there was no tomorrow, or it might have to do with the fact that I had too much homework. Idk. The main point is that I took so long on a Rick Riordan book which is such a shocker.

Enough of that. Anyways, I loved loved loved this book. The cover is so gorgeous (has so much meaning behind it just like all other Rick Riordan book covers) and the synopsis just makes your heart leap out of your throat. I originally thought that this was going to be a trilogy, but, guess not. I think that's a good thing! But gee, what a cliffhanger. What an ending. Ermaferkengerd.

What I found ironic and slightly funny was that this included a few myths that I just barely learned. Such as, Echo and Narcissus. We were barely doing Greek mythology in our English Honors class and we learned the story of Helen of Troy, of Echo and Narcissus, (since we're reading The Odyssey atm) and I just crack open the book and see those myths. And it makes so much sense and it's so much funnier.

Character Discussions-
Percy- I LOVE PERCY JACKSON, PERIOD. HE'S FRICKIN AMAZING. He's such a sweet guy! Any girl would want a boyfriend like him.
Annabeth- She's so much more mature, since she's older and all, but she's still the know-it-all daughter of Athena. Yes, love her.
Hazel- Since she's from the past and all it's all kind of awkward. And no matter how cute they may seem, I do not ship her and Frank... Now that I think about it, there were really less Frazel moments in this book.
Piper- She's great. LOL. Yeah, she's really caring and I know she would do anything to save the people she cared about.
Jason- I feel like all he really did in this book was get knocked out. LOLOLOL. But yeah, Jason is amazing. He and Percy make such a great team. If they were single I would ship Percy and Jason so hard it would hurt
Leo-LEO VALDEZ IS MY FAVORITE CHARACTER GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWSH HE'S SO AMAZING. The class clown that all the girls love. He's funny and creative and even more, he's a very very very amazing mechanic. And since I want to be an engineer... wow just wow I love Leo and that is all
Frank-Honestly I don't like Frank that much. But he's there when everyone needs him and he's there to save the day whenever people need his.. bravery. But yes. He's great, in his own way.

In this book I was sort of surprised and then again not surprised by my foreshadowing skills. Prophecies aren't supposed to make sense until it's too late, but I found myself making sense of the prophecies before any of the characters did. (; I think Riordan did it on purpose. LOL.

Rick Riordan must be a god. It amazes me how he can weave these words together just like Arachne can weave them webs. That man is truly amazing. I don't know if it's his writing or if it's just the mythology that I love- but yeah. ALL I CARE IS THAT IT'S AMAZING AND YES, IT IS AMAZING.

I can't wait for the next book.

Quotes-

"Ella likes books."


LIANA LIKES BOOKS TOO


"He would remember a pretty girl paying such close attention to him."


Hey hey hey she's got a boyfriend


"I am so gorgeous."


Narcissus- the father of all narcissists. LOL. He's sooo gorgeous.. right.


"I'm the Super-sized McShizzle, man!"


LOLOL WTF


"..only because he'd tried to shield her from the Romans."


AWWWWWW how sweeeeet.


"Team Leo?"

SHHH, DON'T TELL EDWARD?


"Ah... yes. John Green."

ERMAHGERD JOHN GREEN HAHA



"Percy fell face-first into his pizza."



Is it bad that I'm thinking of that one kid who died with pizza sauce on his forehead in Safe Haven? 


"I care nothing about this Percy."

I am offended
Everyone cares about Percy


"But they interrupted a Chuck Norris movie!"

AIN'T NOBODY GAT TIME FOR CHUCK NORRIS


"..all children of Athena feared spiders."


DOES THIS MEAN.. OMG RON WEASLEY IS A CHILD OF ATHENA HAHA


"She had nice hair--"


No Leo you're not allowed to say she has nice hair because she has a boyfriend
it's ok Leo bby I'm here for you


"Do you trust me?"
"No!"



Going all Aladdin huh HAHA


"I should have been there for you."


If all the guys in the world were like Percy Jackson then the world would be a better place.


"You would be my Deianira."


EW EW WTF THAT ESCALATED SO QUICKLY


"Hello, brother."



Said Damon omg


"Percy, let me go,"



NO NO NO OMG MY FEEEEEELS BRB CRYING



"Leo, they're not dead."



And at that moment, I swear that Nico di Angelo put hope into all of us.
--------
AGH I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT BOOK GOSH
Reading this book I've realized that all antagonists have a good side, no matter how small that is.
What did you think of this review? (:

3 comments:

  1. LOL YES YOU'RE SO RIGHT!!! :D LEO IS AMAZING!! I love him too and of course, Percy xD The Mark of Athena is absolutely amazing and I can't wait for The House of Hades!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mark of Athena is available on Homeshop18 for just Rs.70, To compare prices, check http://shoppingwish.in/shop-online-deal/buy-the-mark-of-athena-paperback-in-india-compare-online-prices-free-coupons-deals-offers/9gihpmh8b5t8

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god, this book was awesome!! My favourite of the series so far!! I love Leo and loved Percy and Annabeth in this book so much!! That ending was crazyyy, so going to read House of Hades asap!! Looooved!!

    Marlene
    Informative URL for Ketchikan Fishing Charters Salmon

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!