Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Book Review: Someone Else's Life by Katie Dale.

Someone Else's Life Someone Else's Life by Katie Dale.
Book Summary: When seventeen-year-old Rosie’s mother, Trudie, dies from Huntington’s Disease, her pain is intensified by the knowledge that she has a fifty-per-cent chance of inheriting the crippling disease herself. Only when she tells her mum’s best friend, ‘Aunt Sarah’ that she is going to test for the disease does Sarah, a midwife, reveal that Trudie was not her biological mother after all... 

Devastated, Rosie decides to trace her real mother, hitching along on her ex-boyfriend’s GAP year to follow her to Los Angeles. But all does not go to plan, and as Rosie discovers yet more of her family's deeply-buried secrets and lies, she is left with an agonising decision of her own - one which will be the most heart-breaking and far-reaching of all...

Liana's Summary:  When Rosie's mother dies of Huntington's disease, a genetic disorder, she's worried that she can get it too. But when her 'Aunt' Sarah tells her that she wasn't even her mother, Rosie is shocked and sets out to find her birth mother in America, unintentionally meeting other people, too. People she may have never planned on meeting, people she didn't even know lived. And she might be ruining everyone's lives with the truth.

Rate(1-10): 9.5

Oh my. I loved this book a lot! 

It's been a while since I've read a contemporary story, and this was exactly what I needed. Honestly, I was sick of all the dystopia and sci-fi and fantasy I've been reading a lot recently, and I just needed some good-old contemporary in my book reading life.

Anyways, this was a recommendation from a friend (Cindy that's you k). Her recommendations are 95% PERFECT. At first, I was reluctant to read this because, well. I judged it. Again. Dangit, whenever a book seems so oh-so-boring, it ends up being the best book ever! Gah.

What I found ironic about this read was that in my biology class, we're currently doing genetic disorders and diseases. And this book just so happened to educate all of us about Huntington's disease. It was pretty interesting!

This whole entire storyline and plot was ridiculously complicated, and it became even more complicated at the near end. In the beginning, I was confused at who was narrating what, but all my questions were answered by the end of the book. If you try to explain this plot to someone, it's not gonna happen because it's too complicated to explain. That's why people have to read this book to see for themselves. (;

Let me do character discussions. Every character is active in making the plot work, which I like a lot because there's that thing I love called character coordination.

Rosie- I like Rosie, but it seems like she's too mature for her age because of what happened to her mom. It's always the parents that leave the burden upon the children, ain't it? Well, anyway. I like Rosie even though she irritated me a lot throughout the book with her reckless actions... But she's pretty responsible and independent. I like that.

Holly- At first, I liked her, and then she was a bitch. And then she was a bigger bitch and then I became indifferent at the end. I could care less if she lived or died. I hate her that much. But I really understand her feelings-- what if some random girl waltzed into your life and took your whole family away? And what if all of that interfered with your engagement and your pregnancy? I can understand her but I don't know why she didn't put out more tolerance. And even if she couldn't control her anger she didn't have to get frickin' even.

Andy- Andy seemed like an impatient guy in the beginning, and I didn't really like him that much. But throughout the book, when Rosie hurt him so much, he still came back for her and forgave her for everything. And he made the romance perfect, too! He didn't even have to be a hot and sexy and cocky male character for me to love him. Gotta love Andy!

Josh- He wasn't a really important character, but I've got to say, this guy is very, very loyal, and he wouldn't storm off angrily. He would try to fix things, not stand there watching as the love of his life runs away from him. Josh is amazing!

Katharine and Jack.. well. They make a cute couple. LOL. K. 

I love the romance in this book, seriously. Usually, I would view romance as the main and most important aspect in a book, but this book centered on family problems and drama and I liked reading about that a lot. The romance just made it 100x better.

Overall, you can tell I loved this book. And the ending, wow, the ending was perf.

Quotes!
Note- Since I read an ARC copy of this story, not all quotes may be in perfect coordination with the final print.

"I feel like such a shit."



That's because you ARE a shit


"No, it's okay. I can come with you."




"Well, maybe it's time I took something back."




"..the paper crumples in my fist.."




"Let's go. Now."



"I nod."




"I'm nothing like her!"



YOU MEAN SHE'S NOTHING LIKE YOU, STUPID MERDE OF A BITCH


"How dare you!"



He just dares


"..from someone I don't despise."



Well we all despise you ha


"..and kiss him.."




"..to where Josh is staring at me.."




"Life's not fair."



I think I've heard that line quite enough.


"I made the right decision."



"..it's Holly I've come to see."



"Negative."




"It's the truth!"




WELL NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE BLOODY TRUTH EXCEPT FOR YOU 



"I smile.."



EEEEVILY


"..she's going to get what's coming to her.."



"Get even."



BAISE CE MERDE

"I can't wait."




"I'm so proud of you.."



Proud of her for being a 17 year old mom? Okay.


"I'm gonna be right here waiting for you,.."





"I've been a bit of a bitch lately."



THAT IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT. MERDE.
------
And you can tell that I needed to flip 10000 tables while reading this from merely reading the quote reactions. LOL.
Did I mention I loved this book? 
What did you think of this review?(;

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book too! I didn't expect to at all - but I'm SO glad I gave it a chance :) I was holding back tears all the time too - learning all about Huntington's and all the drama and everything was just too much ;)
    Cheapest Microsoft Software Download, visit website

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!