Saturday, April 6, 2013

Book Review: Invisibility by Andrea Cremer and David Levithan.

InvisibilityInvisibility by Andrea Cremer and David Levithan.
Book Summary: Stephen has been invisible for practically his whole life — because of a curse his grandfather, a powerful cursecaster, bestowed on Stephen’s mother before Stephen was born. So when Elizabeth moves to Stephen’s NYC apartment building from Minnesota, no one is more surprised than he is that she can see him. A budding romance ensues, and when Stephen confides in Elizabeth about his predicament, the two of them decide to dive headfirst into the secret world of cursecasters and spellseekers to figure out a way to break the curse. But things don’t go as planned, especially when Stephen’s grandfather arrives in town, taking his anger out on everyone he sees. In the end, Elizabeth and Stephen must decide how big of a sacrifice they’re willing to make for Stephen to become visible — because the answer could mean the difference between life and death. At least for Elizabeth.

Liana's Summary: Stephen has been invisible for his whole entire life-- no one can see him. He's pretty sure of that. However, when he meets Elizabeth, who can see him, his life takes a whole new turn. As the two fall in love, Elizabeth finds out that she's the only one that can see Stephen-- and there's a reason behind it. 


Rate(1-10): 6.5


First of all, thanks to PenguinTeen for distributing this ARC.

Okay, so. I am fans of both Andrea Cremer and David Levithan, perhaps a bigger fan of David Levithan. I have met them both an they're both very nice people! Anyways, I know their general writing style, and Invisibility was sort of like a mash-up of their styles, which I found quite interesting to read. I'm not really surprised that they wrote a book together, though, since David Levithan co-writes with nearly everybody-- which is really cool!

Let's start out by talking about the things that I liked about this book.

-The cover. I mean, the cover is GORGEOUS. It's a cover that draws people's attention at first sight and makes them want to read it. 
-The title. Something called INVISIBILITY would just draw you to it, right? Wrong? Right.
-The general idea of someone being invisible, and then suddenly being visible to this one person. It has David-Levithan-style dripping off of it, I mean, really! On the cover, it says "David Levithan, Author of Every Day". I've read Every Day, and I swear, that was a good book! And that's the only thing of David's I've read, actually. But out of all his works, Every Day just so happened to be on this cover. Maybe because Every Day's main character had the same general.. *waves hands in a vague motion*. David Levithan said that he wrote Every Day just to answer two questions: What would it be like to have a new identity every day? What would it be like to fall in love with a person who changed every day? And I have a feeling that he wrote Invisibility to answer the question, What's it like to be invisible to everyone, and then suddenly be visible one day?
-Laurie. I love that kid, LOL. Without him, I bet that Stephen and Liz's romance would have never happened. 

And that list just sort of stops.. Because there were things that I didn't like, too.

-The plot. It was too flat, really. Flat and quiet.. (The end was actually where everything barely started to get good) I don't know if it's just me that's developed a thing for crazy and violent, action packed stories, or if it's just this book. This book just evolved around the apartment building and the two characters falling in love and both of them dealing with Stephen's, the main character's, invisibility. The whole entire plot moved really slowly, but Andrea Cremer's 'curse' and 'magic' thingies sort of spiced it up-- even still, I don't think it did much.
-Elizabeth. I mean, she's a great girl. But I don't really like her. I'm afraid she is one of those 'I-have-powers-but-I'm-in-denial' characters. She annoys me. Without Laurie, I don't even think she and Stephen could have continued with the relationship.. She's too reckless sometimes, and I appreciate that.. but..... *vague hand gesture (again)*

As you can see, my likes and dislikes have evened out the rating for this book. Overall, it was fine.


That's it! What did you think of this review?(;

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... interesting take. I think Levithan's books move a little slower, but this seems like it should be a high action book. I haven't read Andrea Creamer, but from what I've heard of her books I was surprised at them co-authoring a book. Levithan does have some interesting high-concept ideas, though.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!