Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Book Review: The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd.

The Madman's Daughter (The Madman's Daughter, #1)The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd.
Book Summary: In the darkest places, even love is deadly.

Sixteen-year-old Juliet Moreau has built a life for herself in London—working as a maid, attending church on Sundays, and trying not to think about the scandal that ruined her life. After all, no one ever proved the rumors about her father's gruesome experiments. But when she learns he is alive and continuing his work on a remote tropical island, she is determined to find out if the accusations are true.

Accompanied by her father's handsome young assistant, Montgomery, and an enigmatic castaway, Edward—both of whom she is deeply drawn to—Juliet travels to the island, only to discover the depths of her father's madness: He has experimented on animals so that they resemble, speak, and behave as humans. And worse, one of the creatures has turned violent and is killing the island's inhabitants. Torn between horror and scientific curiosity, Juliet knows she must end her father's dangerous experiments and escape her jungle prison before it's too late. Yet as the island falls into chaos, she discovers the extent of her father's genius—and madness—in her own blood.

Inspired by H. G. Wells's classic The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Madman's Daughter is a dark and breathless Gothic thriller about the secrets we'll do anything to know and the truths we'll go to any lengths to protect.

Liana's Summary: Juliet thinks that her father may be alive, but she refuses to believe it-- that is, until, an old but familiar diagram leads her to the last person she expects to see-- Montgomery, the boy of her childhood, the childhood that was lost ever since her mother died and her father left. After Juliet loses her job, mainly because of self-defense, she goes to Montgomery and tells him to take her with him to see her father. But is her father the same loving, gentle man that she used to know? Or has he been driven completely mad? Juliet has to deal with her long lost father, and two boys that are completely in love with her at the same time. But she can find a way out of this mess- can she?

Rate(1-10): 10

It's been a while since I've chosen a book to read all by myself without any recommendation from anyone. And this book was FREAKING AMAZING. I can't contain myself, LOL. It completely deserves the 5 stars and even more if I could give it.

I honestly don't know where to start because I can't-
My feelings-
Ineffable-
INEFFABLE-
I can't put this into words-
This book was too fabulous-
omg-
so done with life right now-

Well, I'm gonna try to spit it out. Ahem. So, the title speaks for itself. The main character is a daughter of a madman that just so happens to be performing vivisection brutally and making wild animals into human-like beings----

Okay okay character discussions

Juliet- She was a likable main character, opposing sexism the whole entire time. She seems a bit too stubborn, though, and sometimes really desperate. She's brave but not really brave, and very, very.. brusque. But still a likable protagonist.

Edward- You see, when he first came in I just knew that it was going to be a love triangle. Well then. At first, I abhorred him for ruining the perfect relationship between Juliet and Montgomery, but... Well, Edward is a complex character.

Montgomery- He. Is. Hot. omg. When he first got introduced to the story, I got really excited since I knew that the book was about to get even better than it already was. Montgomery is a kind, caring, and composed man. He keeps his secrets and does what he does for the good of others. He's a true gentleman.

The ending was too much for me to handle. I couldn't even breathe, omg. Like, seriously? THAT WAS FUCKING AWESOME, MEGAN SHEPHERD, I CAN'T.

The romance was all right. However, Juliet seemed a bit torn in between and it just annoyed me out of my mind-- LOL at least I know clearly which guy I'm rooting for now

Honestly I have to admit that I'm really disappointed there is going to be a sequel. I mean, I'm glad there's more of the story to see and I'm definitely gonna get the next book when it comes out-- but. But, the ending of this book was absolutely perfect and tragic and, even if there is more to write, I feel like a sequel will ruin the perfectly constructed ending of this book. Well, that's my opinion, anyway.

Nonetheless, I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book and this is definitely a recommendation that I'm willing to give to anyone.

Quotes~

"..his handsome features.."



"..tied his blond hair back."


HE HAS LONG BLOND HAIR OMG
SO DEAD













"I'm going to have you tonight,.."





"..something undeniably attractive about him.."



NO YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO THINK HE'S ATTRACTIVE STOP YOU HAVE MONTGOMERY OK

"I like getting to know you, Miss Moreau."


edward please go away

"..you looked even more beautiful when I thought I was dying."


no edward stop


"...he kissed me."


I don't know what to think anymore -sobs-


"I came for you, Juliet!"



Art thou Romeo? Oh wait it's just Edward


"Montgomery tackled Edward."



"She was in love with him."



NOOOOO


"He's been in love with the mere idea of you for years."


D'aaaw that's so cute


"His lips found mine."




"You're too good for him,"


stupid, naive Edward SHUTTHEFUCKUP BEFORE I ENTER THAT BOOK MYSELF AND SMACK YOU UPSIDE THE HEAD 

"But my father can."


So close..

"No!"

------
Megan Shepherd is such an amazing author, and this is just her DEBUT. Wow, amazing. There were so many plot twists in this story I can't even breathe anymore
So, that's all. 
What did you think of this review?(;

1 comment:

  1. I have wanted to read this book for awhile, but i just bought a whole bunch of other books! I guess this book will hvae to wait! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!