Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Book Review: The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry.


The Amaranth EnchantmentThe Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry.
Book Summary: When Lucinda Chapdelaine was a small child, her parents left for the royal ball and never returned. Ever since, Lucinda has been stuck in perpetual servitude at her evil aunt’s jewelry store. Then, on the very same day, a mysterious visitor and an even more bizarre piece of jewelry both enter the shop, setting in motion a string of twists and turns that will forever alter Lucinda’s path. In this magical story filled with delightful surprises, Lucinda will dance at the royal ball, fall under the Amaranth Witch’s spell, avenge her parents’ death, and maybe—just maybe—capture the heart of a prince.

Liana's Summary: Lucinda is just that girl in the jewelry maker's shop. But, after her uncle dies, her aunt brutally kicks Lucinda out, accusing her of robbing her family. Lucinda has nowhere to go. So she goes to the Amaranth witch. Lucinda gets tangled in an adventure, with Peter the beggar. When she meets Prince Gregor, though, she gets utterly distracted. How will things turn out? It all depends on her decisions.

Rate(1-10): 8.2

Okay, so it might not be fair if I gave it an 8. Because it's merely not an 8. It's not like the other 8's. (x So add the 0.2. There you go! That's what I really think of it.

First of all, I just loved the humor in this book. It's just applied there, you know? I thought that this would be a romance, but obviously I was wrong. Just embarrassing some guys, that's it. I think my favorite part would be where she chased Peter down in a duchess dress. omg. Peter. That rascal. But still, I like Peter. I used to like Prince Gregor more, but Peter is my prince now, if you know what I mean. (; Anyway, Gregor is actually pretty nice but he's so STIFF. No, not the right word. He reminds me of Prince Kai from Cinder by Marissa Meyer.

So this book had the guy characters Peter and Gregor, as I have mentioned in the above paragraph. At first, Peter appeared as a street hobo with dirty looks. And then, I just want to say this, since it's so predictable. I just know that he's gonna get washed up and Lucinda's gonna be all like, OMG.

I finished this book in about 2-3 days, I think. It took that long because I hate reading on my ereader especially when I download the PDF file and transfer it, because the text is so darn small! And then you have to widen the text and then whenever you turn the page you widen it again. And I had to read it sideways because the text was just too small upright. Okay, enough about the text. I was about to say that there wouldn't be so much quote reactions since I read this on the ereader, but there is a lot. Sort of. LOL. Okay. There's a Teacher's guide to this book. http://www.julieberrybooks.com/TeachersGuideTheAmaranthEnchantment.pdf

So maybe it's supposed to be a class read? Most likely for elementary school kids, since there was no romance. The reason this book wasn't a 10 was because of the lack of romance. Okay, even if there was romance, it would be a 9. Okay. Because there are just those books that I gave 10's to. Don't get me wrong, I loved this book! The rating is my personal opinion, which shouldn't matter to you unless you plan to read every single book I read. Anyway, yeah. I think I'm just going to finish all the books on my ereader first before moving on to paper books. After the paper books, I'm moving back to my ereader, and then after that paper books. Okay, enough babbling. Time for quote reactions!

"Your Majesty," he said..
"Your what?" I said.
"Er," said my customer.

LOL. I knew it.

"You don't need to do that," he said.
"Do what?"
"Get down on your knees. Unless you are proposing marriage.."


Oh my god. The humor. I can't breathe.

"Don't touch me!" I yelped.
"Hide me!" he whispered.
I blinked. "Hide you?"


Oh god. What an intruding pervert.

Silence. Then, "There's room."
I jumped. His voice came from close by, on my bed. I  recoiled in disgust. Thought he and I'd be cozy now, did he...

Oh my god. 'There's room,' has got to be my favorite line. EVER. Oh my god, oh my god. Really. I laughed so hard.

"I know about you.."
Stalker.

"Peter," I croaked.
PETER. -malicious glare-

I wrinkled my nose. "I don't want to dance with him.."
LOL. Oh my god. Lucinda.

"Hortensia Montescue. I believe you call her Aunt."
WHAT. omg this is getting so good.

"You!" I gasped.
"Me," he agreed, looking amused. 


So, in Rick Riordan's Throne of Fire, and the Serpent's Shadow, there's always a guy that appears and says, me, after someone glares and says you. I gotta use this. These have got to be the best acknowledgement  lines in the whole world.

His eyes narrowed. "You don't say.."

I just thought of this meme. I had to. LOL. The prince and his humor.

"Peter?" the prince asked, surprised. "Miss Peter? Miss Peters?"
Reminds me of the part in Disney's Mulan where Shang asked her what her name was and she said Ling, Mushu, etc. Lucinda was just glaring at Peter and she said his name, and then the prince was all like, Peter? 
"Truth to be told, I couldn't say. One day you're sharing your bedroom with street thieves, next day you.."
Oh my god. Peter. Peter. He's not quite the one to say this, isn't he? (x

Peter's eyes bulged. He swallowed hard and stepped back.
Oh my gosh, his reaction! So, he told Lucinda that she has an advantage in robbery because she's a girl and she can flirt with the guys to distract them, and then he tells her to practice on him and he just gets this reaction. LOL.

His eyes... He caught himself suddenly, stiffened, pulled away.
"Pardon me. I.. I was trying to hear you better. The noise..But I'm neglecting your dancing lessons.."


Oh, what excuses! No guys. This is not romance.

The soft, damp touch lingered long after his lips were gone..
She's talking about her face, you wrong-minded adal;fd. But still. Isn't that a bit over-detailed? Spit on her face. Fab.

There stood Gregor, and beside him, to my great shock, was his father, King Hubert....
._. You're doomed. You're dead, Lucinda, you're doomed. I can't bear to read this.

The sticky-faced prince who'd drunk too much punch...
Gregor? Yeah, him. The one you didn't want to dance with? Yeah, him. The one you're swooning over? Yeah, him. Punch guy.

Handsome, I realized with surprise...

EW.

"You!" I said. 
YOU! -seethes-

Aunt's face contorted into a grimace of bewildered disgust.
After some apologies. LOL. Omg.

"You've mussed up my hat," he said after a while.
"Blast your hat."


Blast your hat! I just had to laugh.

Once, he'd amused me- in a maddening sort of way..
Haha. Very funny.

Lucinda, you're a fool to forgive him.
Awh, if it makes him happy, then it's all good! Even I pity him right now.

"Give me that!" I snatched the bun from Peter's hand and bit into it..
omg. Can you imagine that.

"Take off everything, and put these on"- she handed me silk underthings..
Underthings. Interesting. o___o

"The dress fits," Beryl said. "Doesn't it, Peter?"
"Um-hmm," Peter said, his face flushing..


Oouu, (x

He pressed its tip gently into my belly.
I thought when people threaten others with knives, they put it at their neck. Wtf. Belly.

Gregor seemed dissatisfied with my lack of feeling..
Psh, take what she gives! She deserves to provide lackluster..enthusiasm in front of you. (Is lackluster an adj? omg. I forgot.)

Peter made a noise of annoyance.
Can't you tell, Lucinda?

--------------
Yes, I did say there was no romance. You may think there is, but there's not. Oh god. Lucinda said that she felt Gregor's whiskers on her lips. That just.. kadj;flasjld I wanted her to end up with Peter, personally. I'm not saying what happened. No spoilers, remember?

Out of all the characters, I like Beryl the best. She is so nice, oh god. I need to borrow her personality for one of my characters in Incend.

I just want to say this. Julie Berry did make me laugh, but not quite so much times as Rick Riordan did. Yep, he's the comedian! I would like to recommend this book to all of you fairy-tale lovers.

1 comment:

  1. This book is meant to be read a bit slower and savored. But the story moves at a nice pace.

    The story was about friendship, family, fighting for yourself and those you love. And yes, there's a cute prince but we aren't forced to swoon over him for hundreds of pages.

    Riyanna
    Believe it, Belden VFD Motor Supply Cables

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!