Sunday, July 22, 2012

Book Review: The Wild Orchid by Cameron Dokey.


Currently Reading..The Wild Orchid by Cameron Dokey.
A retelling of 'The Ballad of Mulan.'
Book Summary:  Wielding a sword as deftly as an embroidery needle, Mulan is unlike any other girl in China. When the emperor summons a great army, each family must send a male to fight. Tomboyish Mulan is determined to spare her aging father and bring her family honor, so she disguises herself and answers the call.But Mulan never expects to find a friend, let alone a soul mate, in the commander of her division, Prince Jian. For all of Mulan's courage with a bow and arrow, is she brave enough to share her true identity and feelings with Prince Jian?
Liana's Summary: Embroidery? Sewing? Weaving? Mulan prefers sword-wielding or archery to that. Mulan is a girl who thinks that her father hates her. Her dearest wish is to get to know him. When that wish is granted, how does Mulan feel? Her father faces a threat of deja-vu, and so Mulan takes his place in fighting the Huns. When she meets (not-so-handsome) Prince Jian, Mulan realizes something. Something that she never realized before. And I'm not telling you. Because that's spoiling.

Rate(1-10): 8.5
It was pretty good! I took, like, 3 hours reading this. ._. I had to read it online. Here's the link, if you want to read. It's a high recommendation!-

http://www.onread.com/fbreader/1414420/

There was no file of it on 4shared.com to download, so ald;asjlfsd I had to read it online. :c Whale, that does make bookmarking and highlighting quotes easier. I'd rather hold a real-life paper book.

So. I just got the urge to read all of Cameron Dokey's retellings, because..
1-I love retellings. Incend is a retelling!
2- I liked her retelling of Rapunzel, so I decided to read more of her retellings.

I don't think I'm going to read her other books, BESIDES her RETELLINGS. I like her retellings. :3

Enough about retellings. Okay, so in this book, her best friend is named Li Po. Really? Li Po? I'm Chinese and I don't even know what that means. All I can think of is Pear Old Lady. And there's Prince Jian( Prince Sword), Prince Guang (Prince Light.), and Prince Ying( Prince Silver.) Awkward names! I got disturbed. So here's my thoughts without spoiling:

I WANTED HER TO END UP WITH THAT GUY BUT SHE JUST ENDED UP WITH THAT ONE OTHER GUY AND I GOT SOOO MAD AND THAT GUY.. IT'S SO DARN SAD. D;

I really like Li Po. I think he's my favorite character. Yep. He is. And way hotter than 'that one other guy'.
Another reason I like Cameron Dokey is that she doesn't use complex vocab so I don't have to end up updating my vocab journal. (x Like I did with Prince and the Pauper. Ugh. A whole page, front and back. That's why I'm taking a break. Unfortunately, my next book to read is another Cameron Dokey book ONLINE. D; Sighhhhh. Well. Behold! Quote Reactions!

"Do so quickly or you will make me angry."
>:T

"..both my parents hoped that I would be a boy..."
What's with Asians wanting boys? :c

"I would soon be old enough to become a bride."
What. You're 13.

"..not for the fact that Min Xian still insisted on giving me my baths from time to time."
._.

"..closed his fingers over mine."
:OOO YES. <3

"I love you, Mulan."
"And I love you."


SEVEN YEAR OLD ROMANCE. AWH.

"You aren't thinking of asking me to marry you, are you?"
OOOOU. THIS IS GETTING GOOD. SAY YES, LI PO. SAY IT.

"It would seem that your daughter has grown into a son."
WHAAAAAAT. Omg! Her wish. Is granted. (':

"You knew I would do this?"
SHE KNOWS EVERYTHING. :OOO FORTUNE TELLER.

"If you die, I'm never going to forgive you, or myself."
AHH. This is why Li Po's my fav. Despite his Pear Old Lady name.

"Little Archer."
Archer.  Archer from Fire by Kristin Cashore? dafjfakd;daj ARCHER..

"The point is that I don't want you to die."
NO. YOU DON'T, OR ELSE YOU CAN'T BE TOGETHER! <3

"My name is Gong-shi,"
Gong-shi? -_____-'

"..it's because I'm worried about you."
AWH. Him doing his big-brother role. <3

"Prince Guang was the most handsome man that I had ever seen.."
Whoa, whoa! You're going with Li Po, young lady. Not the Prince of Light.

"To my astonishment Prince Jiang reached out and hauled me upright."
DON'T TOUCH HER!!!

"Who are you?"
She's herself. Don't ask. Please.

"He would judge what I could do on the basis of my sex."
SEXIST.

"..just barely brushing Prince Jian's.."
UGH. GET AWEY! I NO LIKE YOU.

"It was a gift from Hua Wei,"
:OOOO

"Now China's fate lay in mine."
YES. YOU HERO. FIGHT, MULAN! FIGHT!

"As ---- toppled backward,.."

NOOOOO!!!!!!!

"..my arrow caught him beneath the chin.."
YES. HHAHAHAHAH.

"He eased me upright, helping me to drink."
 I don't like. :c

"I am sorry."
D':

"Mulan," he said simply. "My little hero of China."
(':

"Prince Jian has asked to speak with you. He is nearby.."
This so reminds me of the part in Disney's Mulan where Shang asked if Mulan 'lived there'. Shang is so lame. "Um, you fight good."

"..trying to ignore the way my heart quickened."

I DON'T APPROVE!

"Will you walk with me?"
-narrows eyes-

"..though he kept his hand on my arm."
YOU RAPIST. I STILL HATE YOU. I AM NOT SATISFIED BY THIS TURN OF EVENTS. </3

"It is because I love you."
NOOOOOOOOO. WHY. Fine. Whatever.

"I know my name,.."
Yeah! She does! >:(

"Will you marry me, Mulan?"
akljdl;fajfdajfak IT IS ALL RUINED. D: But you see, at least there is some romance. I must take it or leave it.

And that, is all! You see, I was so not satisfied of the turn of events. You'll see. I highly insist that you read it! (: That is all. So bye! I shall get on with reading now.
 

3 comments:

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!