Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Book Review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.


The Perks of Being a WallflowerThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.
Book Summary: Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.This haunting novel about the dilemma of passivity vs. passion marks the stunning debut of a provocative voice in contemporary fiction: The Perks of Being a Wallflower. This is the story of what it’s like to grow up in high school. More intimate than a diary, Charlie's letters are singular and unique, hilarious and devastating. We may not know where he lives. We may not know to whom he is writing. All we know is the world he shares. Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it puts him on a strange course through uncharted territory. The world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends. The world of sex, drugs, andThe Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. Through Charlie, Stephen Chbosky has created a deeply affecting coming-of-age story, a powerful novel that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller coaster days known as growing up.
Liana's Summary: Charlie is starting high school, but is very nervous. Things change once you turn into a freshman. When he meets Sam and Patrick, Charlie realizes that you can go a mighty distance to care for a friend. And he knows they are infinite.

Rate(1-10): 8.9
So, first of all, I would like to say a few things. A lot, actually, about this book. The first thing, though, is that I heard of this book from my friend. Actually, I heard of the movie first, which isn't out yet. And we were talking about Harry Potter, and then Emma Watson, and then my friend said that her and Logan Lerman are gonna be in a movie together, The Perks of Being a Wallflower. She also mentioned that Emma Watson is going to use an American accent. I asked who Logan Lerman was, and she said he was Percy Jackson. And I was like, okay. So that conversation led to Percy Jackson, and eventually to Twilight, which doesn't really have anything to do with anything. So the point is, I heard of the movie first and watched the trailer. I basically wanted to watch the movie because Emma Watson is my favorite actress. Anyway, I heard there was a book, so I got it and read it. And that's how I heard of this book.

So, in the book, Sam, the character Emma plays, smokes. All the time. Let's see if they do that in the movie. So then Charlie, Logan Lerman's character, got inspired to smoke. All the time. ._. So then yeah. And there's a bunch of sex scenes. It's kinda hard to read. It's not between Charlie and this other girl, it's about other people. I think Charlie only does it once with Sam. (: And the other time was with Mary Elizabeth, but I wasn't so sure about it since I wasn't paying attention.

So then, I think this book was pretty good. The beginning was kind of confusing though. I was tired. And then it got slightly better, and then pretty good, and then yeah. It was only 174 pages, and I finished it really fast. It turns out my NookColor charger is broken. D: Need a new one.

"Get out. You pervert."

YEAH YOU PERVERT. D: That's really bad to peek in on two people doing "it."

"I told Sam that I dreamt that she and I were naked on the sofa,.."
O______________O You don't usually tell people that.

"The thing is that Sam is now going out with a boy named Craig."
GASP. NOOOO! CRAIG IS BAD.

"And she kissed me."
:O I wanna see how that looks in the movie. Emma Watson and Logan Lerman!

"I'm going to buy your birthday present."
And that was the last time I ever saw her.


SHE DIED FOR THAT?! D': THIS IS SO DARN SAD.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?"
YEAH WHAT THE FREAK IS WRONG WITH YOU.

"And that was enough to make me feel infinite."
WE ARE INFINITE!

"And I will believe the same about you."
Love always,
Charlie.
THE END.


CLAP CLAP CLAP. 

So guys, you see, my reactions are epic. Aren't they? I think that Stephen Chbosky is a good author. I would have to read more of his books to see if all of them are like that, and he might even end up on my Top 10's!

Guys, this is a book about friendship. It's a high recommendation. It's only 174 pages.

Although, one thing that bothered me was the gay thing. It kinda scared me. D: A little. Okay, that's all I have to say. Bye!

Looking forward to the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!