Monday, July 16, 2012

Book Review: The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan.


The Throne of Fire (Kane Chronicles, #2)The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan.
Kane Chronicles #2.
Book Summary: Ever since the gods of Ancient Egypt were unleashed in the modern world, Carter Kane and his sister Sadie have been in trouble. As descendants of the House of Life, the Kanes have some powers at their command, but the devious gods haven't given them much time to master their skills at Brooklyn House, which has become a training ground for young magicians. And now their most threatening enemy yet - the chaos snake Apophis - is rising. If they don't prevent him from breaking free in a few days' time, the world will come to an end. In other words, it's a typical week for the Kane family. To have any chance of battling the Forces of Chaos, the Kanes must revive the sun god Ra. But that would be a feat more powerful than any magician has ever accomplished. First they have to search the world for the three sections of the Book of Ra, then they have to learn how to chant its spells. Oh, and did we mention that no one knows where Ra is exactly? Narrated in two different wisecracking voices, featuring a large cast of new and unforgettable characters, and with adventures spanning the globe, this second installment in the Kane Chronicles is nothing short of a thrill ride.

Liana's summary: Apophis is rising. Carter and Sadie Kane need to awaken Ra, the sun god, to make things right again. When they go on their dangerous quest, they must face sacrifice. Rick Riordan writes a book in which the reader can learn  about Egyptian mythology and enjoy a good story at the same time.

Rate(1-10): 8.9
I could not. Put this down. It's so entertaining! And Sadie is just hilarious. In the first book, The Red Pyramid, I liked Carter so much better because Sadie seemed like such a brat. In this book, though, (Don't know why I was so eager to get it, but I got it anyway.) I liked Sadie much better. On the Anubis and Walt debate thing, for once, I can't decide which guy. For me, I like Anubis, but he's scary. D; Kinda. Since he's the god of funerals and all. But for Sadie, BOTH. Weasels are sick, I like Zebras. You'll see.
Since it's so late, I don't think that this review is going to be pretty long. Um. Even if I got to know Sadie a lot more, I still like Carter. So. Here's some quote-reactions! May contain minor spoilers. MINOR.

"Personally, I wanted to punch Desjardins in the face and set his beard on fire, but..."
OMG. This is too hilarious. See why I like Sadie a bit better now?
"I'm not plunging to my death with LOSER painted on my head!"
Which is why I love Carter.
"I threw my arms around Carter and let out a sob."
AWW. She does these things when she's worried or really relieved.

"I hate you."
I HATE HIM TOO.

"Welcome, children," he called across the water. " Come. Join me for the end of the world."
o_________o

That's all I bookmarked, actually. I'm slacking off on the bookmarking, but hey, it makes my review long, which is cool. (: There was this part where --- came out of nowhere and Sadie went like, "YOU." In a really loathing voice and --- goes all delighted, like, "ME!" Which I thought was too funny to bear. I should use that in my writing.

Rick Riordan is one of the people who inspire me to write. His writing is really creative, and every time he starts a book, and you read the first line of the first chapter, you want to read more. Immediately. Which is why I couldn't put this book down. In his creations, Percy Jackson, Kane Chronicles, and the Lost Hero(Which I haven't read. YET.) he always starts off with a chapter title that makes you wonder. Like, ie, "I vaporize my math teacher." And you would be like, "What does that even mean?" And then you read the entire chapter, and you completely get it. And then the next chapter has something equally creative, and you keep reading until you finish. I respect that talent.

So then, I'm not going to read Serpent's Shadow just yet. Going to read Pride and Prejudice. Saving it for the weekend! And I don't want it to end. D;

As I have said earlier, this book review is short. So have a nice day! Bye~



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!