Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Book Review: Legend by Marie Lu.

Legend (Legend, #1)Legend by Marie Lu.
Book Summary: What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.


From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.
Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.


Liana's summary: Daniel Wing, also known as Day, is a criminal. His Trial score is an impossible fail. June, however, is a prodigy. It's pretty ironic if these two actually face each other. When June's brother, Metias, gets killed, things get to a point in which the most unexpected of the unexpected happens. And Day's crimes were probably not meant-to-be.  Marie Lu writes a thrilling romance story, which recently became the most suspenseful book I've ever read.

Rate(1-10): 10!

I need to start by obsessing over how good this book was, how cute Day was, blah, blah, blah, how sad it was at the end. (Be warned!) I need a moment. And I just took that moment to add Marie Lu to my Top 10 favorite authors. Which means I just took off William Goldman, but whatever. I know I just finished this book for the first time and she immediately became one of my Top 10, but, it's just too good. Okay.

Usually, when the story has two main characters that take turns telling the story from their first person point of view, I get confused because I think, "Wait, who is saying this again?" This book was one of those. But the reason I decided to bring it up is because Legend was different from any other book I've read. This is the first book I've read in which the text was not black. I'm not sure if it's a novel, but whatever. Anyway, my point is, when it was Day's turn to talk in his point of view, the text was golden/brown and bold. And June's, though, was normal black. And I swear it helped a lot. Marie Lu did a good job about that. Even though when I wasn't paying attention, I forgot June was talking. But that was only once! And I didn't even have to check back to the title of the chapter to see who it was. Just look at the text! Besides, it was pretty. I think more authors should learn from her example. 

So then, I have a lot of things to say, and I'm trying to type really fast so I remember it all. Okay, so, remember when I said(Maybe you remember, maybe you don't.) that it's hard to hate a character when they tell you the story in their first person point of view? And there's more to the story than you would think if they didn't narrate? Well, then, June and Day are technically enemies. Sort of. Yeah, real enemies, until near the end where everything gets fixed. But that's not my point. So, Day doesn't even know that June hates his guts, and June just wants to hunt him down and yeah.  And so that makes him HER enemy. So, I think Day is just too fabulous and caring and brave and all that. But then June is awesome too. (I like Day better, just so you know. Like I always like the guy characters.. No, it's not because I'm attracted to fictional characters in a sexual way. Sheesh! I think it's because guys in books are better than guys in real life. No offense, if you're a guy. I just judge the character by their bravery and appearance and attitude and stuff.) So I seriously didn't know who's side to be on, since I heard both sides.

What surprised me was that Marie Lu started Legend when she was 14, as she said so in her acknowledgments. And that's how old I am now. I seriously want to be a writer, but I don't think any other author influenced me this way. Usually when I write, I choose to set the setting way back then with the knights in shining armor, and kings and queens, and yeah. I finally begin to realize that I should try something else. Yep, Marie Lu influenced my to write a futuristic novel. Forget the princes! I'm trying FUTURISTIC STUFF. Because then I can make it all up without having to search the Medieval period. Perfect! I don't know why Marie Lu out of all Dystopian authors motivated me. Just don't know. I've read plenty of Dystopian novels; The Giver, Matched, Divergent, The Hunger Games, etc, etc, but I don't know why, when I read Legend, that I actually wanted to write one by myself. I think it's because she put that she started writing this bestseller when she was 14. And I want to be like that.

So, in this novel, you know those two people are gonna fall for each other. And they do it in such an unexpected way. And then Day just gets whacked in the head. ._.
I totally forgot what I was about to say. See, this is what happens when I have too much to say. Oh well.
:c So, anyway, I'll just proceed to my quotes. OH WAIT. I JUST REMEMBERED.

So what I was gonna say is that Legend has won the award for most suspenseful book I've ever read. For now. (: The Last Olympian is now #2. Well, things are the way it is.

Also, another thing I just remembered. I'm really looking forward to getting the 2nd book, Prodigy.  I understand the title completely after reading Legend. Although I'm not sure about Legend. Is the title just that because Day is such a legend? People thought he died a billion times but he ends up being freaking alive. Which is a good thing.

Oh yeah. I like how Marie Lu lives in Los Angeles, since when authors go on book signing tours, they don't ever come near California. So if I meet Marie Lu one day, I'll scream and ask for her autograph. (: FINALLY. WOOH. And I was wondering why her story took place there. (x

And another thing. I keep remembering at the last moment. You know, when people reference this book to the Hunger Games, I think that they're not that precise. I think that is so because it's Dystopian, but I think it's more like Cinder by Marissa Meyer, because of 'the plague.' I don't know. Maybe the Giver. Or even Matched. Nothing like the Hunger Games though. I think it's mostly like Cinder, but with a better plot and more suspenseful moments. And the romance is so much better. Even though it's not that strong. Proves how sucky the romance was in Cinder, but that's how it is. 

One last thing before the quote reactions. You know in Harry Potter, where a bunch of innocent people die for no reason? Well. Here you go. Legend will just make you cry. Even when people don't die. There's just these really sad memories that make you tear up. Besides being the most suspenseful book I've ever read, I award Legend with the title of The Book that Made me Almost Cry more than once in the story.  Because, in Harry Potter, I just feel the urge to cry once a book. I think I actually really cried for Order of the Phoenix and the Half-Blood Prince and the Deathly Hallows. Idk, but my dad says I cry alot for no reason. ._. I don't see how people can cry for movies, though. The rest of the HP books, though, I just teared up but didn't cry at the less sadder deaths, though I was really disappointed. What would I do if Hagrid was dead? Oh my god. Can't think about that. Was that a spoiler? I don't really think it was. Hagrid is alive. Okay. So, basically, people just die in this book out of nowhere. Three times this made me want to cry. Not even the parts where they died, though, just the parts afterwards when they find out. And they just think back on memories. That is my point. People die innocently, which is why this book was too sad to bear, but I read it anyway. I think I'm over-exaggerating, but still. I think ----'s death was really sad, but I have to say this. He gave up his life to save Day, and I didn't want him to do that, but there was no choice. ---- said that he would save Day even if it cost him his life. I would've been sadder if Day died though. Wouldn't be able to bear it. So ---- died a noble death. Thank you, ----. (Just so it's not spoiled for you, I'm using the dashes. If you didn't know that already. I always do that.)

Well, you've waited long enough. Here comes the epic quotes! There's quite a lot. It looks like this: 
It's a lot. The most bookmarks I've ever used for one book. Which proves its suspenseful-ness and epic-ness. (: LET'S GO MARIE LU. Oh yeah, I'm stalling again. Sorry. But here:

Bold- Day's P.O.V. 
Normal- June's P.O.V.
Note:  Most of the quotes are Day's. Since they're more suspenseful. Yaknoe, since he's the criminal and all.


"Finally, I pull my gloves on and tie a black handkerchief around my mouth and nose."
Ooh, fancy spy gear.

"I grab the railing and fling myself to the next highest curve."

RUN RUN RUN!

"I'm trapped."

DUH YOU'RE TRAPPED. D: NO!

"I rip open my long-sleeved shirt and let it billow out behind me as thoughts zip through my head. Knees bent. Feetfirst. Relax muscles. Hit with balls of feet. Roll. The ground rushes up at me. I brace myself."

:O NINJA SKILLZ.

"I throw my knife at him with all my strength."
BRO. THAT'S JUNE'S BROTHER RIGHT THERE. BETTER BE FREAKING CAREFUL.

"Before I black out, I realize that my pendant is no longer looped around my neck."
D: NO!

Metias kissed me on my forehead. "Forever and ever, kid, until you're sick and tired of seeing me."
And that just made me cry. He's gone. This is a memory, btw.

"I'm sorry. Metias has been killed."
Oh Thomas, you're SUCH A CARING PERSON. (At least that's what I THOUGHT.)
Brace myself for June's reaction..

"...halts in front of the white sheet, then bends down and throws it aside."
What kind of freaking horrible lady is she. She shouldn't 'throw' aside that sheet. She doesn't even care. LEAST FAVORITE CHARACTER EVER.

"I make a silent promise to my brother's killer. I will hunt you down. I will scour the streets of Los Angeles for you. Seawrch ever street in the Republic if I have to. I will trick you and deceive you, lie, cheat and steal to find you, tempt you out of your hiding place, and chase you until you have nowhere else to run. I make you this promise: your life is mine."
Daaaaang, girl! And this is one of the reasons why I think June is one of my brave heroines on my Top 10's. I kinda regretted putting her on there for a sec when I was reading this one part where she was being really impossible, but she changed at the end and it made me happy. (: SO THERE. SHE STAYS ON MY LIST!

"..hands clutches a pendant necklace.."
o___________________________o omg. 

"I have on an elaborate white gown, laces and corseted,..."
Wait wait wait. Is this formal funeral attire?

"You look lovely, June."
My response before I found THAT out: Aww, how sweet of you, Thomas.
Now: EW GET AWAY YOU PERV. GET AWAY I'M SERIOUS. I HATE YOUR GUTS SO GET AWAY FROM HER.
You probably have a clue now. Idk.

"..and claps a hand on my shoulder. It lingers there for a while."
... ._. But he's so OLD. And she's wearing a 'sexy' dress too.

"...I'd take my time with this girl, chat her up and maybe get a kiss or three out of her."

._. I DO NOT APPROVE.

"Come out," I say. The tiny microphone at my mouth makes my voice sound like a man's.
Now isn't that cool.

"It's the way she's leaned against me since the very first week I knew her,.."
OOH. THERE'S A STORY OF HOW THEY MET?! ;D It's not June, btw.

"She followed me around as I scavenged in garbage bins,..."
It somehow reminds me of Luke and Annabeth.(Percy Jackson.) In a way.

"He's dangling upside down in the interrogation room right now."
So, first I find out that you need a hack code to access the internet, and now I find out that they hang people upside down to ask some questions. 

"Don't get too close to her, you trot."
YEAH. DON'T GET TOO CLOSE TO TESS, YOU TROT.

"Oh, hell no. Not while I'm watching. Not if Kaede wants to live."

GOGOGO! HURRY UP.

"...I'm going to send soldiers after you-whether or not it blows your cover. Understand?"
By then, I started to dislike Thomas. UGH. HE'S NOT THE BOSS OF HER. Too overprotective! She's not even his responsibility. He's a big fat faggot.  Excuse my language~

"..a mix of Anglo and Asian,.."
HE'S PART ASIAN?! NOW THAT JUST MAKES HIM HOTTER. ;D

"Who said anything about you, sweetheart?"
Did he just call her sweetheart? ._. He's got this flirting  talent.

"For an instant, I think he might kiss me."
*HEART BEATS REALLY FAST*

"...he leans his head back against the wall, sighs, and closes his eyes."

I think I bookmarked this because I just wanna tell you how cute it is when Day sighs and falls asleep. (:

"..I helplessly drift back to thinking about her."
AWWWWWWWWWW. <3

"I taste the wine on his lips."
._. That's a good thing to say. Guys, I'm trying to point out that they're kissing.

"I've kissed plenty of beautiful girls before, but not like this one."
So her assumptions are true. Such a flirty guy! This just made me facepalm though.

I take the pendant out of my pocket. " Yes, no doubt about it."
NOOOO! DO YOU FREAKING KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING TO HIM?! YOU BIG FAT UGLY ddaj;fjdalf I HATE YOUR GUTS, JUNE. I SERIOUSLY DO.

"I've taken advantage of Day's greatest weakness."
How. Dare. You. HOW DARE YOU!

"My mind screams for a solution."
HE NEEDS HELP. NOW. D: SUSPENSEFUL MOMENT. SEE WHAT YOU DID JUNE. I HATE YOU SO BAD.

"Daniel?" she whispers. 
Daniel? Daniel. ._. DANIEL. O-kay.. Nice family reunion, yaknow, but it's not the right time. Your lives are in danger..?

"Under the porch," she whispers. "There's no time to run."
NOO! THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO DO. CAN'T YOU SEE?! NOOO!

"And now, because of my idiocy, she has tracked me right to my family."
DUH. D': You stupid, stupid boy. ;_;

"Please. No one will get hurt."
LIEEEES. CURSE YOU JUNE. HATE YOUR GUTS.

"Then he shoots her in the head."
IEYROYEWHKLFDJSLDJFUIOEUHFDLKSJD NOOOO! ;___; D': NONONONO!

"This is all wrong. No one's supposed to get hurt."
Well they did! All because of you, STUPID.

"Day lets out a scream of agony,..."
NO. NO. NO!!! D':

"Then they cuff him, blindfold and gag him, and drag him into one of the waiting jeeps."
THAT'S MESSED UP! LET HIM GO! D':

"The Girl looks down, then takes a gun from her belt and strikes me hard across the face."
So who the freak do you think you are to do that. ONCE AGAIN: HATEYOURGUTS.

"..brushes my chin as he leans in to kiss me on the lips."
*REPULSED AND DISGUSTED.* I HATE THAT GUY.

"Dominant Ethnicity: Mongolian. "
*Double take.* WHUT. :OO MONGOL? NOW THAT'S INTERESTING. With blond hair.. huh.

"I am no longer the Republic's only prodigy with a perfect score."
Whale, I'm so proud of Day . Poop on your head, June. Too bad.

"...painting a dark red streak into it."
D:

".., I see her wince at the sight of me and turn her eyes to the ground."
AND ALL YOU CAN DO IS LOOK AT THE FREAKING GROUND. YOU COLD-HEARTED FJL:DJUE.

"My mouth cracks every time I move it."
D': I'm gonna cry. No guys, this is not this sentence that makes me cry! I meant its surrounding sentences, but I only chose to put one since I'm short of time. I feel so bad for Day right now. And to think this is all June's fault! I think by now I forgave June.

"He lets out a dry laugh."
Not the time to laugh, you know.
"That's when Thomas throws me to the ground so hard that.."
Oh no he didn't! :O

"Aww. Is that what got you down? I've seen the way you look at her.You want her bad, yeah?.."
YEAH YOU WANT HER BAD YOU BIG JERK. YOU KNOW IT. BUT SHE DON'T WANT YOU!

"These black marks look like rifle grease. Almost like the streak of grease that was on Thomas's forehead when I first saw him that night."
And my suspicions are confirmed. I'm disappointed Thomas didn't die. Nothing happened to him! But life isn't fair, I guess. I HOPE HE DIES LATER IN PRODIGY.

"A laugh bubbles out of my throat and turns into a coughing fit."
NOT. The time to laugh. D':

"Then he never came home again."
SO DARN SAD. D':

"WWW FOLLOW ME JUNE BUG DOT COM."
THAT. Is the most cleverest thing I've ever read. Good job, Metias, for creating it. Good job, June, for figuring it out.

"I'm going to help Day escape."
Good. I forgive you.

"Suddenly I twist, and for a split second I'm free. Before he can react, I whirl, yank the gun out of his holster, and point it straight at him."
NINJA! I love Day. I'm serious.

"In her hand I see the rifle she used to hit me."
AGAIN?! 

"What fun you are, my beautiful boy."

Guh awey, you Mama Cougar.

"...sink my teeth deep into her hand. She shrieks."

OH YES. <3 HEHEHHHAHAHAHHEHEHEHAHHEHAHE *Laughs hysterically.*

"The extra money was enough to buy a whole chicken."
They're really poor. Giving up one/two dresses and pots and doing all that extra work to afford a chicken.I feel so bad for them.

"Then fetch me that chicken too," the policeman says.
OH HAAAAAIL NO. NO WAY. OMFG. YOU FATASS. OMG. OMG. NO. HE DID NOT TAKE THEIR CHICKEN.

"...,some way, what he said in the dream will come true."
Good. It was a dream. If it wasn't then I would've wanted that police guy to die in agony for taking their chicken. I'm not chicken crazy. It's so unfair. The family's poor already, and they sell some precious things to get a freaking chicken that gets taken away! Ugh.

"We're moving up Day's execution time."
*Chokes on watermelon juice.*

"....Punch someone if you have to."
Oh, John. (': You're a good brother.

"..you're under investigation. Follow me."
I KNOW WHERE THIS IS LEADING. >:\

"I'm not accusing you of anything, June."

Oh, sure you're not, you big fat ugly grease-haired freak! YOU SUCK AT FLIRTING! HOPE YOU DIE.

"They've set it off in the square."
PHEW. Thank goodness. This is getting more suspenseful by the moment.

"Yeah, is that what you told Metias?"

OOOU. He got told! RUN FOR IT JUNE. SAVE DAY! SAVE HIM.

"John punches him in the jaw."
GO JOHN! 

"Execute him! Kill him now!..."
CRAZY MAD LADY ON THE LOOSE!

"John's going to do it."
No! John, you can't!

"Then the silence returns."
No. ;__;

"He looks like an angel, if a broken one."
Angels can look broken?

"But.. sometimes it feels like we're the same person born into two different worlds."
CLAP, CLAP, CLAP. This quote wins my award for most meaningful quote in the book. (: YAAAAY!
So, lastly. There was this part in the book that I really liked. It was a memory of Day's. So then, when his dad was still alive, he found a quarter. I don't think it's that special, but it's a quarter from today, and they have a different money system since it's way later. And he said that it might be the last one in the world. Quarters aren't that valuable, but in Legend, it seemed like an antique artifact. So it was pretty cool. And that's what's inside of Day's locket. (: That's all I have to say about that part, though.

Notice there are so much quotes from Day's point of view. More from June's than I thought.  Well. My favorite character has got to be Day. And my least favorite character is either Commander Jameson or Thomas. Okay! I really liked Metias too, though. But, DAY. <3 Sigh.

So, dear friend, I know you've read a lot of this post. So thank you for your time and patience! Longest review ever. Especially because of the quotes. This is a really high recommendation, and once again, I'm looking forward to getting Prodigy and I can't wait 'till the third book is out! Unfortunately, Prodigy isn't out 'till January 2013. D: But she's done writing and the cover's out already! :c Oh well. It's a must-read! LET'S GO MARIE LU! WOOH.

-Liana.

PS: I wonder if it's a movie? o:


Guys! This is an addendum as of 7/9/12.

SEE. IT'S DAY. IT'S HIS NAME IMPRINTED ON MY CAKEE. (: Okay. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!