Monday, July 23, 2012

Book Review: Sunlight and Shadow by Cameron Dokey.

Sunlight and Shadow: A Retelling of "The Magic Flute" (Once Upon a Time)Sunlight and Shadow by Cameron Dokey.
A Retelling of The Magic Flute.
Book Summary: Mina was born on the longest night of the darkest month of the year. When her father looked at her, all he saw was what he feared: By birth, by name, by nature, she belonged to the Dark. So when Mina turned sixteen, her father took her away from shadow and brought her into sunlight. In retaliation, her mother lured a handsome prince into a deadly agreement: If he frees Mina, he can claim her as his bride. Now Mina and her prince must endure deadly trials -- of love and fate and family -- before they can truly live happily ever after....

Liana's Summary: Mina's parents are the King and Queen of Day and Night. They oppose each other, though. Mina has lived with her mother for sixteen years, and the plan is to send her to her father as to let him pick a proper husband for her. When Mina meets the love of her life, her father doesn't approve and insists on making her marry the man of her choice. Now they have to get through trials- one that can kill them, before they can do anything at all.

Rate(1-10): 6.9

I don't even know the story of The Magic Flute. Omg. I should have read that before I read this book, for I was utterly lost for a moment.

On Goodreads, I rated it 3/5, so I suppose that is a 6.9. Whatever, it's close enough. Erm, I think I kind of liked it. I don't know. I read it online again, just like I read The Wild Orchid online. And like The Wild Orchid, I am not satisfied at the romance turnout. a;fljdaldja Whyyyy. I'm not saying that all of Cameron Dokey's books are like that, since Golden was to my satisfaction. <3 Well, if you get easily irritated at character first person POV change every chapter, don't read this book. Thank goodness, the chapters are short, because I get frustrated because of that, aha. Anyway, I procrastinated so much during this book, because I wasn't paying attention. I'm never reading an online book again unless I have to. Ugh. I've just been told by a professional that I procrastinate. :c I didn't even know I was a good designer. Jeez, take a sanity test and the people know all about you. Things that you don't even know about yourself.. it's scary. Okay, back to the book. What kind of name is TERN? I imagined him fat and lazy the whole time. Even if he wasn't. It isn't a good thing to imagine especially when he's... "THE ONE." Sorry Tern, but I still don't like you. The characters are: Tern, Mina, Gayna, Lapin, and Statos. There's so much, I'm not even sure if that's all. I love Lapin the most. ehhehe. So. Quote reactions.


"Her name is Gayna."

Gayna? Hm. I don't like this Gayna.

"..bidding the satisfaction of seeing me cry."
Dokey does this too much.

"Oh, Lapin."

Oh, you! How cute.

"But that does not mean I have the brains of one."
:3 I like Lapin.


"I am a prince, and my name is Tern."
TERN WERN DERN PERN CERN. I no like.

"Welcome to your new home."
-cough- Faggot.

"Don't you think it's a little too late to be concerned of that?"
OOOU. Right in the gut.

"The daughter of the Queen of the Night bears the evil eye."
So mean. I hate you officially.

"My eyes are two different colors."
OH MY GAW. GRACELING.

"...she could be ugly."
You're ugly.

"How long have you loved him?"
HAH. That's a joke. He no want you.

"Statos must never see that smile."
But he will. You poop.

"Give her more time," I wanted to cry.
GIVERMORETIME. PLS. D:

"You have control over her body."
I thought wrong. Sorry. :x

"He can be annoying, especially when he's right and he knows it."
Oh, how cute!

"For I am told that my eyes change color according to the light."
OOH. That's cool.

"Bring Gayna to me at once."
:OOO

"Well, don't just lie there. Go and rescue her."
Oh, brave Lapin. How wise of you to tell Tern.

"And I threw my arms around him.."
omg. YAY. (':

"I don't just think it. I know I do."
PERVERT ON THE LOOSE.

"Will you love me, do you think?"
PERVERT ON THE LOOSE.

"Why don't you give each other a kiss and be done with it?"
LOL. Lapin. This is why I love you.

When will I find love?
FOREVER ALONE. Poor Lapin. D; I'm here for you!

"The music of my heart."
Oh yes.

"I've just never seen one fly through the air..."
LOL. Okay. Lapin and his sense of humor.

" You are Gayna,.."
wtf. omgomgomgomg. -pedoface-

"I tell you, I will not!" Statos shouted.
BRAT.

"No! Wait!" I cried.
Wait, whaaaaaat just happened.

"Lapin!" Mina cried. "Spy!" the Lord Sarastro said.
This just made me laugh. Not sure why.

"I did my best to make a bow..."
How cute. :3

"For she has had my heart from a week after she was born."
AWH. You belong together.

"You cannot trust him. He serves the Queen of the Night. "

No one can trust you! ajfdalkjf

The fires of hell, I thought.
:o


"The first kiss that we had shared. It wasn't much like other first kisses, I think."
PERVERT ON THE LOOSE. Yep, still don't like him.

"But the touch of them so filled my heart with music that, for the instants the kiss lasted, I no longer heard the fire nor felt its heat."
PERVERT ON THE LOOSE.


See how pitiful he is, " the voices of hell jeered at me. "He refuses to admit what must come, even now. " With a cry of frustration, I tore the fabric of my tunic, exposing the place where the flute lay in its sheath, just above my heart. 
"Mina, " I said again, and felt her hands upon mine, willing them to be still. 
"It's all right, Tern. I understand what you would have me do, " she said. "But, in spite of your pain, I think the solution to this trial is for my heart to solve, not yours. For I have watched your suffering, and longed to end it, and is that not what love does? But only if you trust me. " 
"I will. I do, " I said. 
And I watched her smile.

This part had to be read by me when there was sad music on the TV. Omg. No, I did not type all that. I merely copied and pasted, aha. The advantages of reading an ebook.

"Never had I seen a more beautiful sight."
PERVERT ON THE LOOSE.

"I love you, Tern."
CURSE YOU. KJFDSL:JF LIANA DISAPPROVES.

"But dry them first. I cannot see them truly if you weep."
Poop. Let her cry.

Oh, Tern, I thought.
>:T

Statos fell to his knees, his head bowed down.
AHA. AHAHAHAH WHAT NOW.

"But, if you will give me what I ask, I will render up all my lord's secrets to you,.."
YOU TRAITOR. I HATE YOUR GUTS MORE THAN TERN'S NAME.

"You would have me be alone, then?" Statos asked.
FOREVER ALONE. And deserving it! ehehhe

And, everyone, that is the end of my reactions. I think I pay less attention when I'm reading online. Thank goodness they're pretty short. I really got confused when I read this, because there are no chapter titles when the POV changes abruptly. But, anyway, here's the reading link if you want to read it. 
 


http://www.onread.com/fbreader/1414418/ 

That is all, for I am tired. I will never read an ebook on the comp again, omg. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!