Thursday, July 26, 2012

Book Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver.

Delirium (Delirium, #1)
Delirium by Lauren Oliver.
Book Summary: Ninety-five days, and then I’ll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It’s hard to be patient. It’s hard not to be afraid while I’m still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn’t touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don’t. 


Liana's summary: Lena isn't ugly. She isn't pretty either. She's not fat, but she's not skinny. She's just in between. She's all in favor of the government and their ways.. but when she meets Alex, everything, just everything, changes. 

Rate(1-10): 10!

I'm just going to crawl in a corner and cry and die. I'm serious. Going to die. I can't.. my eyes are red and swollen. I'm procrastinating from homework for this book review, and it's so worth it. omg. So I'm supposed to write a summary that's 'professional' so I can show my counselor. How do I put this in a professional way. 'Reading this is a whole new experience?' Sure, why not. So I seriously need to update my Top 10's page. omg. ajl;dlajfj SRSLY.

Here, are my character impressions:

Lena: omg, I like her name. As I read the book, I got to know her better and hey, she's pretty paranoid, but she's okay, I suppose.

Alex: WHAT IS THIS ANGELS COME TO EARTH
What I love about him is that he is utterly predictable. Seriously. Even the most dimwitted can predict him.

Carol: First impression was that she was nice enough. Last impression was that she's a stupid akl;fdjl

Grace: I love this little girl, oh my god. She's so cute. I just want to hug her for doing what she did. She gave them hope.

Jenny: So I never liked her. I just don't. She's Carol's daughter, and she's always so mean to Lena. I just don't like her.

Hana: At first, I thought she was kind of conceited, but it's all good now. I like her.

I don't care if I'm missing characters. They're the main ones anyway. I like skipping the period when I caps lock. Because it just feels right when I rant, aha.

No, I'm not even going to talk about Brian Scharff. If that's how you spell it. Usually I'm careful about spelling people's names, but I don't care about him.

When I heard of this book, I thought that I wouldn't like it THAT much but I ended up dying and crying and etc over it. It's a HIGH recommendation, obviously. I think it's going to make it on my Top Ten list of favorite books.

Okay, so let's get this over with, shall we? 



I obviously got a lot out of this book. Since I don't have Pandemonium, I'm reading it on the Nook. And since I'm reading on the Nook, I have a bunch of other books on the Nook, so then I'm not going to read a real life paper book until I'm done with all my unread Nookbooks. Hopefully I'll finish all of them, I think 7, 8, 9, 10? before school starts on August 23rd, cos' it's not wise to carry around an ereader in PUBLIC. So what I was talking about getting over with was the quote reactions, and I just wanted you to see the book and my tabs. omg.

I swear I had more to say, but I suppose that's it.
Here it is! omg, I bookmark every single thing.

"..I began to suck on those.."
OMG YOU THOUGHT WRONG DIDN'T YOU YOU DIRTY MINDED PEOPLE.
What I was about to say was..
One does not simply suck oranges.

"..so that they can see my body."
omg. I never wanted to live in a Dystopian world, and this sentence made me not want to more.

"I am only five-two.."

:OO I'M AS TALL AS HER OMG. Technically not, aha. But one inch doesn't count. (;

"Is Lena getting married today?"
BRAT. I don't like you already.

"...and fifty feet away, at the second entrance, the boys."
Why are they fifty feet away omg. Dystopian segregation. </3 Just breaks my heart. This is so Romeo and Juliet.

Okay, okay! CUT IN THE PROCESS OF QUOTING. I know you're gasping. This is unheard of isn't it. But I just have to say how alike this is with Romeo and Juliet. More alike than you think. omg. I'm still looking forward to reading Pandemonium and the 3rd. I forgot what it's called. Omg. Shame on me. But, here. Action!

"..he raises his eyebrows and I drop my eyes quickly.."
._. Staring at people is an offense. omg.

"Every choice is limited." I snap. "That's life."
omg. I don't like her so far. I'm saying omg in every single line. omg. Sorry.

"..my aunt's last name, Tiddle."
What. Tiddle. That sounds really stupid. I so agree with Hana. I refrained from saying omg. And I just said it again. adfljs;dj

Oh yeah, another cut. Sorry. I'm not going by the procedure, but this book just makes me say omg at everything. I love Lauren Oliver's writing. I was about to say omg. Gah! Action!

"It's beautiful."
YOU JACKED IT UP OMG. I'm just not going to stop and refrain myself from saying it anymore because it's a necessity. Let's see how far I go, without saying it on purpose. Let's see.

"Calm down, calm down!" Even though he's grabbing on to her like she's a life raft and he's in danger of sinking."
LOL, omg.

He winks at me.

omg. WINKITY WINK WINK. When she's dressed like that, omg.

"The thought of putting my mouth where his mouth has been makes me feel anxious all over again."
Seriously, omg. It's water.

"Gray."
Now you're just taunting her! (OOOU. Now the omg's cut short.)

"I feel guilty just for thinking about a boy, even a cured one."
I just want to put this out there: It's really really easy to suspect Alex, so don't say I spoiled anything. Even if it's not in the context, people, you should do some serious critical reading.
And she's guilty about thinking it. (I think my omg-phobia is wearing off. Nah, psh. I fought the urge. You know what, I quit. Imma just say omg when I feel like it, omg. Because this book is so omg. FORGET THE OMGS OMG. I SERIOUSLY CAN'T STAND DESTROYING THIS PERFECTLY GOOD BOOK REVIEW WITH OMGS. I DON'T CARE. COS YOLO.)

"We're glaring at each other.."
:c I think Hana's actually a really good friend. I want to read her story now. Lauren Oliver wrote a Delirium 1.5. (: It's called Hana.

"Fuck you."
D; Hana's really cool, and Lena's not treating her right. Her and her government ways.

"That is the promise of the cure."
Ahhh, but the back of the book says it's a lieeee!

"...and once put her fist in Jillian Dawson's face after Jillian said my family was diseased."
AWH. Hana is so nice. I can see that already in my head, LOL.

"Lena!"
omg, it's him! Yay!

"I've never seen anyone maintain a smile for so long. It's like his face is naturally molded that way."
Fake smile, bro. He's hurting on the inside.

"Why were you watching me?"
So here's a bit of a cut in. I sort of liked Lena here. Page 135. (: I started to like her. Oh yeah, and of course: WHY WERE YOU WATCHING HER HMM.

"Wait!"
WAIT PLEASE. D:

"I didn't say that we'd met."
I love Alex because he has a comeback for everything and he's so darn cute.

"You used to run around the statue and do this jumping, whooping thing."
That's embarrassing.

"You looked happy."
I seriously don't know what to say and I don't know why I bookmarked it. I suppose it's an evident clue that she's not so happy.

"He left me a note."
Stop acting all surprised. He said he liked you.

"I'm not flirting with you."
SO CALM. As I said, perfect guys only exist in books. Sorry guys. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe. But this is my assumption for now.

"Are you flirting with me, then?"
LOL. I suppose she is.

"It's okay. I won't tell."
(:

"Would you like to?" he says. His voice is hardly audible above the wind-so low it's barely a whisper.
I added the part after he proposed the idea because it shows how quiet and calm and peaceful he is. It shows he can be gentle and shy and embarrassed at times. Oh yeah. Lena say yes! Please.

"Dance."
Duh. Derp.

"..that after my evaluation I'd get matched with him."
OH SUCH FANTASIES.

Is it because of your mom?
Bold.

"I'll race you."
oh, psh. Alex, you are so losing to her. Just saying. (x

"Without meaning to or thinking about it I reach out and brush my fingers, once, against the three-pronged scar on his neck."
.. Awkward moment. You don't reach out and touch someone like that.. Like, in books, guys and their imperfections make them more perfect. omg. Me and my fantasizing.

"I'm not scared, though," I nearly scream, as Alex opens his mouth to speak.
Uh. Calm down.

"Lena."

LENA. LISTEN TO HIM. STOP BABBLING AND LISTEN TO HIM. HE'S GONNA TELL YOU.
This is exactly what I said about Alex being predictable. I predicted him several times in this book. And I was right.

"I'm not who you think I am."
Incend Inspiration over here. I gotta use this line somewhere.

"For a moment I close my eyes and imagine I've misheard him.."
Nope, you heard him right.

"Impossible. You have the scars."
Lena. You're so.. stubborn.

"You have to understand. Lena, I'm trusting you. Do you see that?"
He's TRUSTING YOU. DO YOU SEE THAT.

"An -------," I say.
If I actually typed the word, it would be a horrific spoiler even if you predicted it. Because once you predict him, you're so sure. And then Lauren Oliver just leads you off track and throws the prediction right in your face, telling you that you were right. Like I said, reading this is a whole new experience.

"Don't touch me."
D;

"He looks genuinely confused- and hurt, too, .."
D;  Poor Alex.

"Lena. I like you, okay? That's it. That's all. I like you."
Put it right out there. But that's cute.

"..at the very least Alex isn't following me."
No! Alex! Follow her. Please.

"I think of the taste of salt.."
._. This comment was too absurd to leave alone. Simply just.

"Lena, I'm so sorry. Please forgive me."
As if he's the one who should be sorry.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me-such bullshit."
I AGREE. AMEN.

"Never mind."
Don't never your mind. :c

"I knew that she'd been saved from Thomas, and from the disease, but that was it."
I forgot to mention that love is a disease in this crazy, crazy world. That's what makes this story so Romeo and Juliet.It just makes Thomas look dangerous, but he's not. Of course, Thomas in Legend by Marie Lu is a different story..

"There are safeguards."
ugh. For some reason, police in Dystopian books piss me off.

"Raid, raid. This is a raid.."
omg. D; Lena, do something.

"I have to go. I have to warn her. I have to warn all of them."
And that's my Lena! Whooh! YOU GO GIRL.

"Then they let the dogs loose."
This is seriously a grave situation, and I feel ashamed of even thinking this, but, WHO LET THE DOGS OUT. omg.

"..sudden, shooting pain rips through my leg."
You're doomed, no, no, you're doomed, no! Incend Inspiration.

"-a voice so familiar in that moment it's like I've been waiting for it all along,.."
Prince Charming to the rescue. <3 It occurred to me that my nonsense quote reactions don't make much sense. I'm so sorry. D;

"Then I feel ashamed. He just......"
Better feel ashamed of yourself. Gosh, I'm so tired I'm not even caps locking.

"Shit," Alex mutters. "You're really bleeding."
The reason I got really excited over this book was the epic romance because it's been a while since I've read one of those. And the cussing too. I like some action. SOME.I like how he says 'shit' alot. I feel free doing this book review because I get to type it without being scolded by one of my friends. (x I don't enjoy it when people say bad words. Rlly. I flinch.

"Fine." I start to giggle softly. "You're naked."
No he isn't. He's top naked. omg, are you crazy, Lena? Do you need help.

"I want to, though."

Here he comes with the automatic responds. And they're not dumb either. (x They don't even make him sound perverted because he's sooo... Alex.

"I hated it here. I hated it here so much you can't even imagine..."
That much?

"Defacing or destroying The Book of Shhh is a sacrilege."
This so reminds me of The Giver by Lois Lowry.

"I'm tired of sleeping."
Wait, but you can't be tired of sleeping because when you're tired you go to sleep and you sleep when you're tired. Hahajk. I know he's tired of it. :c I know what he means.

"Why?"
WHY.

"Let me show you."
Show her what.. *Reads next few lines.* omg, that. I don't know what to say.

"..this kiss- has meant nothing."
So, when I was reading this, there was dramatic music on TV. And it fit.

"Can I see you tomorrow?"
"Yes, yes, yes."


Awh. <3 So cute together. But, you will smile. Then you will cry. Don't say I haven't warned you. This is the retelling of Romeo and Juliet, although not intended.

"... I wake up thinking of Alex."
Lena's really obsessed with him.

"Let me show you."
That's the second time he said that! He reminds me of Aladdin now.

"I need to kiss him."

Too much! I can't stand this.. lessen it a little, please.

"Come inside," she says, "and shut the door."
And without any words, standing there, they knew they were a trio.

"Lena Ella Haloway Tiddle," she says. "You have some explaining to do."
"Your middle name is Ella?" Alex blurts.


This made me laugh so hard. You'll see if you read it.

"..but they look at each other and start grinning stupidly."
Making me want to grin stupidly with them.

"Want to dance?" he teases.
Oh, you!

"..has ever been so painful or delicious.."
One does not simply use painful and delicious in the same sentence.

"Anything's possible, Lena,"
INCEND INSPIRATION. Cos' nothing, nothing can stop us. Nothing is going to be in our way. Because everything is possible, Eramina. Anything and everything. Kekekek that's the perfect thing to make Harry say to her.

"..if anything ever happened to you, I could never forgive myself."
That's kind of like saying, "If you die, I'll kill you." But it's still an inspiration for me.

"Something has just occurred to me."
Unbelievably and painstakingly slow.

"..I just have to find this damn flashlight, okay?"
Calm down ,Lena.

"..is filled with books."
BOOKS. SAY WHAT. -pedoface-

"That's poetry."
Oh. Poetry books. And you got me excited. Poetry is cool. I suppose.

"No!"
NO.

"What's wrong with you?"
I hate Jenny. I really do. I don't like her.

" I didn't know you could be allergic to garlic."
VAMPIRE.

"..cupped in her tiny palm.."

EW LADYBUGS. I have.. insect-ophobia. I guess not arachnophobia because spiders can't freaking fly. And not all of them crawl fast.

"..and feminine-looking.."
Worst. Impression. Ever.

 "He feels sorry for me."
When she should feel sorry for his pimply face instead.

"Lena."
Prince Charming to the rescue.

"His voice is hoarse, as though he's been yelling for a very long time, and a muscle is working furiously in his jaw."
I had an unwanted visual image of Alex bellowing like Tarzan at the open sea. He would've done that. Like I said, predictable.

"Alex takes a deep breath, and for a minute I think he won't answer me."
What is it? O:

"..once or twice in the shitter.."

omg. The shitter. LOL. I'm so immature. I know. But shitter. afs;djljas

"Stop treating me like a child."
"Then stop acting like one."

Great comebacks, I must say.

"Only seven more days."
D: RUN FOR IT WHILE YOU CAN.

"Freeze! Both of you! Hands on your head!"
SDJFSDLSDJ I HATE POLICE IN DYSTOPIAN BOOKS.

"You're a liar."
Yes you are.

"Someday you'll thank us."
NEVER! This isn't quite my inspiration moment, since I had this idea before I read this, but this just made me think of my story.

"..then I look up and see Gracie.."
GRACE. omg. I love this girl. She's a heroine. Without her, this story wouldn't be progressing.

"Then the door of my bedroom flies open.."
You're doomed. D; No! So close.

"Freeze! Freeze! Freeze or we shoot!"

STUPID POLICE OMG.

"I order you, in the name of the United States of America, to freeze and surrender!"

NO. I can't help but reference this to the medieval times.. "Stop in the name of the king!"

------------------------------

And that, is the end, of my so-much-quotes. Hope you didn't die of boredom, my friend. Reassure me you didn't.

I like how Lauren Oliver just randomly made a Book of Shh, the rules of the government, and etc. On every chapter, she would put an excerpt from it. (:

Incend Inspriation- While reading this book, I think I've gotten pretty much so much inspiration that I'm just itching to write. Wish me luck! It's technically not copying. It's actually 'inspiration.' Creating new ideas. (:

That will be all, guys! Have a nice day or a nice sleep. Or a nice lunch. Whenever you're reading this. I'm tired. So much quotes! I actually skipped some, aha. I figured there would be too much spoilers. So, I might try to read Hana. And I must get the third book that's coming out soon! (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!