Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Book Review: Eve and Adam by Michael Grant and Katherine Applegate.

Eve and Adam Eve and Adam by Michael Grant and Katherine Applegate.
Book Summary: And girl created boy… In the beginning, there was an apple— And then there was a car crash, a horrible injury, and a hospital. But before Evening Spiker’s head clears a strange boy named Solo is rushing her to her mother’s research facility. There, under the best care available, Eve is left alone to heal. Just when Eve thinks she will die—not from her injuries, but from boredom—her mother gives her a special project: Create the perfect boy. Using an amazingly detailed simulation, Eve starts building a boy from the ground up. Eve is creating Adam. And he will be just perfect... won’t he?

Liana's summary: Eve just suffered a horrible car crash. She finds herself in the hospital, wondering if she can ever run again. However, mysteriously enough, she finds her broken-off and stitched-back-to-her-body leg healed, the skin on her thigh perfect and white as before. She finds out what her mother has done. To keep Eve from asking too much questions and to keep her busy, her mother assigns her a project- to create the perfect boy. He will be perfect. Won't he? Eve will love him. And he'll love Eve. But, Eve may choose imperfect over perfect in the end.

Rate(1-10) : 9.8

Okay. So. 

What got me started is a Goodreads Ad. So whoever created the ad, goodjob. You can really attract a reader like that! I was like, ooh. This book looks good. 

And yes, I did the guilty thing. Judged a book by its cover. But hey! It was a great judgement- the book was fabulous. Maybe not a 10/10 but definitely a 9.8. The only thing that kept me from giving it a complete ten is that I can't really tell who's talking. Yep, it's one of those books in which the chapters alternate among the characters that narrate. And, even if there are apparently 2 authors, I think they write the same, if I happen to be right in guessing that they took turns writing chapters in their own way. Anyways, enough about that. It only took off 0.2 from my rating. Since I can't really tell who's talking most of the time even with The Voice, LOL. Hold up-- now that I think about it, Eve uses a lot more vocab than Solo since she's the smarty in this book! But still. Same attitude!

So this book was a dystopian. Futuristic, all-about-technology kind of dystopian. I don't know. I think it's more In-The-Future than Dystopian, if you know what I mean. Like, the government being the assholes (excuse my language, but I feel it's entirely necessary.) that they are in most dystopian books just MAKES the story automatically dystopian. But the government isn't really big in this book. There's just a lot of technology and cool stuff and cures for plagues and all that. Now that I think about it, it sorta reminds me of Marissa Meyer's CINDER.

I think that there were some stereotypes in this book. I am aware that teenagers and young, young adults like to curse and swear. But not that constantly. Like, "YOU COLD BITCH" or something like that. I think I saw that phrase constantly in this book. The swear words are used constantly. I hate it when that happens. It gives adults a wrong impression of what people in their late teens are turning into. Perhaps that played a part in my giving it a 9.8 instead of a ten.

So, Eve basically creates Adam. And everyone should know about the Bible story. Eve and Adam and The Garden of Eden. That's what partially caught my attention, because I thought the Bible story was pretty interesting! Anyways, she creates him in a computer program thing. He's PERF. Like, literally PERFECT. Perfect eyes, perfect hair, perfect nose, perfect lips (scary I know), and perfect skin. And perfect muscles and abs, not to mention. And he just wakes up one day as an 18 year old person and says I LOVE EVE COS' SHE CREATED ME. Which sort of creeped me out. 

I forgot to mention this earlier, but the book is narrated by three characters. Eve, Solo, and Adam. It was Eve and Solo at first, but when Eve is done with Adam he comes to life and has a part in the story. But then in some parts of the story Solo sort of scared me. He went like, "I'M GONNA KISS THE LIVING HELL OUT OF HER." and I'm like, oh. Alright.. But other than that, he's really cool.

I swear Evening is the coolest name I have ever came across. Seriously! Anyways. She's a really strong female protagonist. I like that!

Guess what I noticed. First 3rd person book I've read in a LONG while. How fun. 


So, I suppose it's time for quotes!

"Boys have nipples."
Oh. Um. That's nice. 


"Luna doesn't touch The Leg."
Now the leg has a name!


"It bugs me that I can't get into Eve's working file."


S-T-A-L-K-E-R.



"Man, she has a great laugh."


Obsessed with her already?

"Because I'm just a peasant.."


image

"..are only supposed to go in one direction.."


image


"Some Vietnamese guys.."


Well then. 


"Rupert Grint has red hair. He seems nice."



"Why do I find that kind of hot? Seriously. Sleep drool."


He. Has. Problems.

"..except that he hates my mother."
Everyone hates your mother, dear.


"Marry me, Adam. I don't care if you're missing some parts. I love you."


She's hungover really bad.

"This from the girl who wouldn't let Finnian Lenzer ask her out because his hair was too blond?"




"Because his name is Tad!" I yell in frustration. "How can I date a guy named Tad? It's a ridiculous name."


image

"Her husband killed my parents."



"I love Evening."


image

"I am strong and tall and I love Evening."


image

"..where I will grab Eve and kiss the living hell out of her."

Oh. Um. Ok!

How dare they create me and not even give me a name?
"What's my last name?" I demanded.


image

"I'm going to prison! What am I supposed to tell my wife?"


image

"He died."

Oh. Straight up.

"And spare me your angst, bitch. In the end, this whole thing made you rich."

Hey.. that rhymes. :D

"You want me over him?"



Yes.

----------------
 Anyways, yeah.
This was a quick and fast read for 291 pages. (Been reading big books lately).
And-- That's it! Great book; definitely a recommendation. The next book is called Adam and Eve, from what I know by reading the last page of this book. omg. Really. It's just flipped backwards. How original.
What did you think of this review? (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!