Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Book Review: Oath of Servitude by C.E. Wilson.

Oath of Servitude (The Punishment Sequence) Oath of Servitude by C.E. Wilson.
Book Summary: This is the story of Teague and Cailin, two teenagers who have been brought together by fate. Teague, a human, struggles to come to terms with the consequences of a recent accident that has destroyed the happy life that he had once enjoyed. Cailin, a pixi, is trying to stay true to herself while fighting against forces beyond her control that have exiled her from her home into this strange world of humans. She fears the darkness. He cannot escape it. But when the two of them are thrown together, they begin to discover the light inside of themselves.

Liana's Summary: Cailin's a pixi. She is locked in an Oath of Servitude towards Teague Ainsley, a human. She must accompany him for a year to serve what her father owes Owen Ainsley, Teague's father, for Owen has once Cailin's father's life. When they first meet, Teague and Cailin both dislike each other. But as they get to know each other better, things start to change.

Rate(1-10): 9.5!

Wow, just wow. I really liked this book! Thanks to the author for sending me a PDF copy via Smashwords. I just. Wow. Wow. This book is truly great. I'm actually looking forward to getting book 2!

This book has a totally gorgeous cover that attracted me. LOL.

Okay, anyways. When I first opened this PDF file, I was so reluctant to read it because I was getting absolutely SICK of ebooks after all those book review requests. But then, surprisingly, I got sucked in quickly, right after Chapter 1. Chapter 1 might be a bit slow, but Chapter 2? Things start to get interesting in Chapter 2! Which is good. It's not wise to keep a reader waiting for the good parts.

Anyways, it was so good that I got up 5:30AM this morning, ENERGETIC and ecstatic(shocker. Usually I'm grouchy and tired.) to read this book. Last night, I fell asleep on my ereader on accident because I was so tired. So I woke up this morning to read. After 2 hours, I got 80% into it and I was so reluctant and disappointed that I couldn't take the ereader to school to finish it. And throughout this whole day I was waiting for school to end so I could come back home and continue this story.

Anyways, yeah. This story sort of reminds me of Beauty and the Beast. Teague is like the beast. He's blind. He was a baseball player, really good at it too. And then he got hit on the side of his head with a baseball, and boom, he lost his sight. The end. He threw away his happiness and became a drunk blind man, ignoring the world. His father, Owen, is worried about him, so he summons Cailin's dad to tell him that he needs his daughter as Teague's company. Owen is allowed to do that because he once saved Cailin's father- that's right, Cailin is a pixi. Yes, without the -e at the end. Pixi. Not pixie. So Cailin is in her Oath of Servitude to Teague, to pay for Owen's kindness towards her father. If that explanation makes sense at all. Anyways, it's just like Beauty and the Beast and I couldn't help but relate.

I just love those books in which the characters hate each other at first sight (snickers) and then love each other oh-so-much later on. I just don't understand how the characters can be together at all- how is it going to be like for Teague? Dating a foot-tall woman.

Character Discussions-

Owen- He's a pretty good and considerate dad. No matter how messed up Teague is to him in his state of drunkenness and soberness, he's always patient and considerate.

Cailin- She's feisty! She knows how to bite back at people when they're rude to her. LOL. Anyways, I like her! Sometimes, she can be insecure, making her seem realistic.
Teague- He might seem crazy and all that at first, but then when he's sobered up, you realize he's a good guy.

I don't think there's a need to discuss the less important characters. The point of character discussions is for the reader to preview what to expect from the main-est characters.

And I suppose it is time. For quotes! Only a few.

"..was captivating and he wanted her back in his life.."




"Where are you?" he whispered and fell to his knees, crawling through..




"My oath to serve you."


It. All. Makes. Sense.


"Because I love you, Rhinoa,.."




"She watched him lean forward.. he kissed her.."



------------

Most of them are GIF worthy. And, that is it! What did you think of this review? (:

3 comments:

  1. Hi~!
    I received a copy of this book from the Author, too! Now, I can't wait to read it! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! Can't wait to see what you think.

      Delete
  2. It seems this book has some strong, well-developed characters. Just the way I like them. And, yes, the cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!