Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Book Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks.

Of Poseidon (Of Poseidon, #1) Of Poseidon by Anna Banks.
Book Summary: Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen — literally, ouch! — both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . . Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.

Liana's Summary: Emma McIntosh is of Poseidon. But she doesn't know that at first. She doesn't even know she's half Syrena. When Galen, prince of the Syrena, comes on land to find her, she literally runs into him. He tells her that she can save his whole kingdom- but she would have to make some sacrifices she doesn't want to make.

Rate(1-10): 9

This book was fan-flipping-tastic. (See what I did there? Emma loves to say that.)

I've been wanting to read this book for who knows how long. But when I actually saw this book- real life, print paper book, I almost screamed in excitement. It was at that Teen Read Week thing at my city's library where I had a crazy book haul of 18-- in which I got this book. 

So, basically, I'm really glad that I decided to read Legacy Lost before I picked Of Poseidon up. It's a great explaining source and all. 
Since I've read Legacy Lost, I've been looking for the connections between this book and that short story prequel. Grom, the main character in L.L, is actually Galen's older brother. I really like that name. Galen. It's fab. Anyways, there are often references to Nalia and Grom and Grom and Nalia and Grom and Nalia's past, so I highly recommend you read that first before you set your hands on this book.

So, the main character, Emma, is half Syrena- she has the fabulous purple eyes, the thick skin, and she can breathe underwater longer than normal humans can. She's clumsy when it comes to running, but what about swimming?

Anyways, I would have liked this book a lot better if it wasn't on land that much. I wanted to know more about Syrena history- I wanted the plot to be more underwater. And how much times do I have to mention that I hate those books in which the boy and the girl go to SCHOOL and have classes together? I hate those scenes. They just bore me so much. I'm all about the action- I don't mind if the teacher, desks, chairs, whiteboard, and class curriculum isn't there- I won't miss them.

Besides that, though, this book was actually really good!

The romance sort of reminds me of The Hunger Games- in THG, Peeta thinks Katniss doesn't really love him, that she's only doing what she's doing for the districts' entertainment. And vice versa. In this book, both girl and boy are doubting whether they love the other. The girl thinks that the guy is just trying to satisfy the watchers, but it's not like that-- it's true love and it's so cute omggggggg.

The beginning and ending of this book just-wow. The beginning is already action-filled. I love a hooking beginning. And then the ending is just a cliffhanger- somehow I foreshadowed that it would be.

At first, I didn't understand what the title could mean- but after I read the book, I was all like, I GET IT! Wow. Just wow. I thought Triton was a descendant from Poseidon?! Anyways, it's either that you're Of Poseidon or Of Triton. Which explains the title of book 2.
This was a fun and humorous read told from the main character's POV and Galen's POV. I like how they used third person for Galen and first person for Emma- it didn't get me confused!

Anyways, it's time for quotes!


"I always thought it was because she's freakishly pasty."

That's nice.

"I know you hate humans."


image

"..jabbing her index finger into his bare chest."
Does he ever wear a shirt?

"..some good garbage eggs."
What an.. interesting name..


"Galen."



"It looks like we have the exact same schedule."




"..how can she be of Poseidon.."

EVERYTHING. MAKES. SENSE.

"Some think Grom felt the pull toward Nalia,"


Oh yes. He definitely did. I read about it in Legacy Lost.

"Ohmysweetgoodness!"


She says that too much. It's overused.

"..tingly..."


Must you use that word.

"You're insulting me in human-talk now?"


image

"So when he eases away.."


"I'm tired of waiting, Galen. "



"He's ugly."

Wow. Straight up.

"But what does that mean?"

It means, that she is half Syrena! GOSH. IT'S NOT THAT HARD TO FIGURE OUT!

"She belongs to Grom."

No she doesn't. Noo!

"He pulls my chin to face him."

That's his favorite place to touch. He always pulls her chin! It's getting redundant.

"..braking my own sad attempt at flight."

That is so SAD. LOL. Try to run away from him- he catches her anyways.
---------------------------

And that is all!

What do you think of this review? (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!