Sunday, October 28, 2012

Book Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass.

The Selection (The Selection, #1)  The Selection by Kiera Cass.
 Book Summary: For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

Liana's summary: When America Singer signs up for The Selection, she had no idea she was going to be one of the 'lucky' 35, competing for being the next princess of Ilea. In fact, she didn't want to sign up at all in the first place, but Aspen insisted. At first, she just wants to get out of there. The only thing that's keeping her in the palace is the free food, but as she gets to know Prince Maxon better, America realizes that he's not as bad as she thought. And when Aspen comes back into her life again, she finds herself at loss of what to do.

Rate(1-10): 10!

Oh my goodness. This book and its fabulousness. I cannot give enough emphasis on how fabulicious this book was.

Well, first of all, I only wanted to read this book because of its cover. LOL. It makes it look so interesting, you know. This book has been on my TBR since 5ever, and it was everything I wanted it to be! Yaay. You know what. I loved this book so much that this is now my second-favorite dystopian, after Lauren Oliver's Delirium. It was THAT good. And y'all know how much I loved Delirium.

Remember when I finished City of Lost Souls? I was in distress and agony and I was all lackluster about the reviews between then and now. But this book came along and now I'm cheered up! Didn't know why I didn't start reading this book earlier. It's great.

It's a combination of Ally Condie's Matched and Suzanne Collins's The Hunger Games. Also a tiny bit like Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. And I loved all of those books.

It's like Matched because it's a crazy love triangle in which I can't really be inclined towards one side.
It's like The Hunger Games because everyone's getting eliminated and only one- the lucky winner- will last 'till the end.
It's like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, because, well, Prince Maxon plays the role of Willy Wonka in this situation.

I love dystopian books. I love them. And I love love triangles. Sometimes..

So, let me discuss their castes. It's like their rating in society. It kind of teaches the readers a moral that a person's identity is not defined by what society labels them. Anyways, I thought that the higher the number, the higher ranked you were. But then I realized that it was Ones as the most powerful and 8's and below homeless or something. The author did a really good job on making that clear!

The protagonist, America Singer, is really likable and a strong female protagonist besides. She's great!  She's like so strong and stubborn and somewhat reminds me of Clary from TMI.

You know what. I'm just gonna do Character Discussions! For the main-est characters. (;

America- I already talked a bit about her above. But yeah, I LOVE her name. It's fab. Especially because today's The United States of America has been turned into Ilea, and her name is a reminder of the historical past of their country. Did I mention that their history is very interesting? Anyways, it's sort of like Panem in The Hunger Games. Wow, this book. It's better than THG.
Maxon- At first I thought he was a boring old prince that America would never like, but oh-ho, did he prove me wrong. I'm mostly Team Maxon, but then I'd feel bad for Aspen.. But still. If people ask, MAXON. This is one of those series that I incline towards the guy most people incline towards. omg.
Aspen- This is how it went with Aspen.
-Hello~ (;
-No I hate you.

-Go away Aspen.
-What are you doing Aspen.

-How could you Aspen.
-Ok fine. You're alright Aspen.
-Wow, Aspen. You're not that bad.
And it ended there.  


And don't even get me started on the characters I despise. UGH.

I'm gonna have to wait in agony for the next book, The Elite. It comes out in 2013. There are like, way too much books coming out that year. I'm gonna die waiting and become an old maid in the process.


Anyways, it's time for quotes! (:

"..please fill out the enclosed form and return it.."
This is how Prince Maxon chooses his brides? Seriously? Like this is some job application?

"For you to submit your name for the Selection."
What.

"She just wants the best for you, that's all."
That's what they all say!

"I'm not some charity case, America. I'm a man. I'm supposed to be a provider.."




" I'll be your friend."
Oh my.

" The guards all wore sly smiles as we passed."


"She said he kept licking her face."
stare

 “And I plan on keeping her here for quite a while.”

Ooou. (;


"Aspen."


Oh ew him. Why mention him again.


 He measured the oill wrong and the first batch burned.


How cute.


"..reached up and slapped Celeste across the face."


YES! YOU GO ANNA.


“Who was the president of the United States during the Third World War?” Silvia quizzed us.


No. It's supposed to end at WWII! What kind of society has the future come to.

"Money. The Americans owed them a lot of money and couldn’t pay them back.”


I heard Dad yeling, “What?” in the background and then Mom’s “Yes, yes, yes!”



"We dropped to nineteen, and it suddenly felt like this was all moving quickly."

Mmmm. There's only 20 more pages and 18 girls to get rid of?! Oh my.
---------------
There wasn't much this time! Anyways, what did you think of this review? (:

6 comments:

  1. Did you buy the book? it was deleted in epubbud. ;( Lemme borrow! Oh and nominated you on this: http://bookaholicfaggots.blogspot.com/2012/10/liebstar-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't. I downloaded it before they deleted it in epubbud! (; &Thanks. <3

      Delete
  2. HAHAHAHA that is hilarious!!!! But it's not enough to convince me to read it. XP

    http://therandomranterer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! <3 You should really read it though! Best book I've read in a while.

      Delete
  3. I really liked this one as well, even though I'm so sick of predictable triangles that I want to murder something. I have to say, I'm actually a bit excited to read the next one too.
    <3 Mei

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your comparison to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! I also loved the gifs, lol. I was surprised that not a lot of people like it, but there is so many who do love it! I can't wait to get my hands on the Elite!

    www.booknerdsjourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!