Saturday, October 27, 2012

Book Review: White Cat by Holly Black.

White Cat (Curse Workers, #1)Book Summary: Cassel comes from a family of Curse Workers - people who have the power to change your emotions, your memories, your luck, by the slightest touch of their hands. And since curse work is illegal, they're all criminals. Many become mobsters and con artists. But not Cassel. He hasn't got magic, so he's an outsider, the straight kid in a crooked family. You just have to ignore one small detail - he killed his best friend, Lila, three years ago. Cassel has carefully built up a facade of normalcy, blending into the crowd. But his facade starts to crumble when he finds himself sleepwalking, propelled into the night by terrifying dreams about a white cat that wants to tell him something. He's noticing other disturbing things too, including the strange behavior of his two brothers. They are keeping secrets from him. As Cassel begins to suspect he's part of a huge con game, he must unravel his past and his memories. To find out the truth, Cassel will have to out-con the conmen.

Liana's summary: Cassel is from a family of curse workers- let one of them touch you and your memory could be altered forever. However, Cassel isn't one of them. He doesn't have it in his blood. He's as mundane as any person can be. But his life isn't, surrounded by all those kinds of dark magic. A few years back, he killed his best friend. But she may be back, in a different form, urging him to turn her back into the girl she was before.

Rate(1-10): 7

I finally got to read this book because of my school's book club! Yay. It's been on my TBR since forever. Anyways, it's good, for sure, but it's not exactly great. It reminds me of Margaret Stohl and Kami Garcia's Beautiful Creatures, but, the only thing is, Beautiful Creatures is better. Yes, there are curses and everything, they're both Modern Fantasy. But the thing is that I don't really like the protagonist of this book, and I LOVED the protagonist in B.C.

Cassel seems to me the reckless and I-don't-care type. I don't really like that. Even if he was narrating first person, I still didn't get to know him all that well. He's very.. private. Aren't main characters supposed to spill themselves out to their readers?

Well, if there were more romance then this book would be very, very, very, close to perfection. You know me. I heart romance, period. This book isn't concentrated on romance at all. Maybe some boyfriend girlfriend relationships but please, the chemical romance is nonexistent. It's more concentrated on curses and curse workers and.. cats. The author loves cats. She dedicated this book to all the fictional cats she killed in her books, which I found slightly amusing.

Overall, this book sort of renders me speechless. I really have nothing to say; even the quotes are majorly less today. The ending is just so abrupt I was like omg what. It's not even a cliffhanger either. It just sort of leaves me wondering how the story is to continue in the rest of the series.

However, despite all my discomforts, this book was actually not bad!

Now. It is time for quotes.

"..my little glass cat,.."
The author. Must. Love. Cats.

"We Asians are all math genuises."
LOL OK.

"..so get your ass over to your brother's apartment."
I think his grandpa uses that word too much.

"Screw you,"
That's nice.

"..to a guy Jace in my dorm."
omg. That name. Mortal Intruments. I can't omg

"..painted with a mural of an old naked man.."
Oh. That's not.. awkward at all..

"I don't want sorbet," he says. "I don't like sorbet. Just give me some damn ice cream."
This totally reminds me of this one Korean drama I watched in which the guy was trying to comfort the girl by offering her some ice cream, but like, she totally exploded and said she hates ice cream and never wants to eat ice cream in her entire life. LOL.
--------------------

And yes, really. That's it. I do have quite a few words to add to my vocabulary journal though. Like 5. Oh wait, not even. 4!

And I guess that's it.

What did you think of this review? (:

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this one, and I thought that there was just the right amount of romance :p
    Sadly though, I haven't been able to make it through the 2nd book (Red Glove) as the series was way too focused on the mob aspects than the paranormal ones.
    <3 Mei

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!